www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Heart of an aquatic snail
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Heart of an aquatic snail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Heart of an aquatic snail Reply with quote

I was dredging in a jar of drainage ditch water, hoping to find an amoeba or something else interesting.

No amoeba, but I'll take what turned up:

It's a very small snail, bottom side up, seen here through a 20X objective (field diameter 0.8 mm). The shell was transparent, and to my considerable surprise, it was easy to see the little critter's heart beating inside.

This animated gif hardly does justice to the action. See the movies instead: whole snail (1MB, wmv) and closeup of heart (1.5MB, wmv).

There is a brief description of snails very much like this one here. The heart is two-chambered -- one auricle, one ventricle.

--Rik
All images using Canon SD 700 IS movie mode, through eyepiece of microscope. Closeup of heart was shot by optically zooming the camera, same microscope settings.
Bruce Williams

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photo and videos Rik. The animated GIF works really well too and absolutely ideal for illustrating this sort of subject. You've inspired me to have a go at creating one myself.

Bruce
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video there Rik. Very Happy I noticed in the first one, that there is a small, rather translucent object that crops up just between the left corner and center area. There are actually two of them but it is the first one that has me curious. The first object to appear, seems to be pulled in to the area of the heart as it is beating. What was that? Think
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, if I'm seeing what you're seeing, I think it's a small protozoan that got caught up in water current and got pulled into the cavity between the snail's body and its shell. It overlaps the heart from this viewing angle, but it's actually in front. I used a pretty small aperture to get as much DOF as possible while still getting a clear image at (only) 640x480 pixels. In that video, you can see that everything is pretty clear from the foot of the snail (on the underside of the cover glass) to about halfway through the critter.

--Rik
beetleman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...great work on this Rik..Excellent pictures and video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: