Mosquito larva images (mouth images added)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Litonotus

Mosquito larva images (mouth images added)

Post by Litonotus »

some more 'abstract' images of a mosquito larva.

a 'tail' detail

guts

mouth. a big stack should be done here...
Last edited by Litonotus on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

yanyading

Post by yanyading »

Sir, you did this with DIC or obilque light? :) thanks!
--
UV is the Key to High Resolution Microscopy

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

it is not DIC, it's my universal filter - it mixes obligue light with rheinberg illumination and thanks to that gives very dic-like effect :D

images taken with the universal filter are also here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=16690 or here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=16445
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The mouth is very interesting to me.

From your direct observations, are those small teeth limited to the ends of the filaments, sort of like bristles on a toothbrush? Or do the teeth go farther down the filament, and we're only lucky enough to see a few at the ends?

I am not sure how deep of a stack you would want here. This could become confusing very quickly. Perhaps a stereo rendering...

--Rik

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

yes, they looked like some kind of toothbrush, I will try to take a better image of them but it is quite hard in my case.

there should be a very deep stack, at least 100 images, that's impossible for me right now. I'm able to do only 'handmade' PS stacks consisting of no more than 5-6 images...
my FB page

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

That details, that look like some kind of toothbrush, on the last one are very nice.

That universal filter si amazing.

Rogelio

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

thank you (:

here is another image of that strange filaments, I will try to make a better one, maybe I will try to cut some of those. There should be used at least 40x objective, but the specimen is way to thick to get a good quality image.

EDIT:

I menaged to detach the mouth from the head (- sorry about that, buddy; it's for a good cause... - @#$#@%*#@* - I know, I know...), flattened it and did 4 image stack of the filaments, that's all I can do right now. the 40x objective gives bad images /:

my FB page

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thank you for the followup. It's clear from the short stack that the teeth go quite a ways down the filaments, where in the first picture it looked like there were maybe only 6-8 teeth at the end of each filament.

--Rik

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

amazing :D

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Yes, very nice.
Close-up of a single seta:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... c5f#107679
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

thank you all :D

thank you for the close-up :D
my FB page

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Most amazing. I don't see how you get such good images, let alone manipulate that little bug to get the right angle.

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

thanks (: I still think they could be much better. the universal filter allows to choose light direction (: it also reduces image distortions typical for traditional obligue light.
my FB page

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic