tutorial for 16-bit printing

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DQE

tutorial for 16-bit printing

Post by DQE »

I found this brief tutorial to be interesting, summarizing some issues related to trying to print 16-bit photographic images.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototip ... nting.html

----------------------------------

I wonder if digital photography will some day switch from integer arithmetic to 32-bit or 64-bit floating-point data, eliminating concerns about quantization errors. Some parts of Photoshop CS5 can now handle 32-bit pixel data, presumably allowing things like HDR processing to work with fewer artifacts.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: tutorial for 16-bit printing

Post by rjlittlefield »

DQE wrote:I wonder if digital photography will some day switch from integer arithmetic to 32-bit or 64-bit floating-point data, eliminating concerns about quantization errors.
Zerene Stacker uses exclusively 32-bit floating point for its internal representations. This gets reduced to 8 or 16 bits only for output to standard image files or screen. The representation increases memory requirements, but in addition to the advantages you mentioned, floating point also turned out to run faster when I tested that during initial prototyping. Modern computer systems have some behaviors that aren't always intuitive!

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic