Ant Mystery comes to close

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

salden

Ant Mystery comes to close

Post by salden »

If you remember my images about the ants guarding this pod-like thing...well the pod has hatched :lol: Not the best images. They were located on the underside of the leaf and the leaf was low to the ground, a bit of a wind and not much light, but you get the idea.

Anyway, this is my three images for the day, now I will be bored :lol:
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Not bad Sue. :D I wonder what those little things are? They sure have big heads on them. :-k

salden

Post by salden »

I thought they were baby aphids....
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well what ever they are the ants sure are interested in them. They too must secrete some kind of substance like honeydew. Amazing though how something that seems so insignificant can end up spawning a swarm. :-k

salden

Post by salden »

Those ants have been guarding these pods for over a month. Always a couple, if not a dozen ants around them at all times.
Sue Alden

salden

Post by salden »

Come to think of it...aphids give live birth don't they?
Sue Alden

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very very interesting Sue. Here is my observations. In your first pic ( and the other post on the same subject) there looks to be an adult Treehopper, Lower left on the leaf vein, and the little critters look to me to be Treehopper nymphs. I have never read or seen anything about ants doing this kind of behavior with leafhoppers. You have a very cool find here IMO :shock: Your treehopper looks like this one; http://bugguide.net/node/view/174/bgimage?from=168 and I also found this while looking for your treehopper http://bugguide.net/node/view/61655/bgimage They could be the same nymphs only older (need more pictures Sue)
Great job :wink:
WOW look how the ants have their jaws open, ready to defend them!!!
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Doug Breda

salden

Post by salden »

Thanks for the links. I did a search, but did not find much information. This is some good reading :D
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Pretty much the man when it comes down to these bugs, eh Doug? :smt028 I would never have guessed that they were tiny hoppers. Gotta hand it to ya, ya did good Doug. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Ya know what happens, I make a reply and then I do a search, than I come up with some more info, I edited that reply about 8 times, than I stopped in at work (I am off today), did another search, came up with the third link, posted a reply for that link......now my brain is fried dough #-o :lol: . (is it lunch time yet)
If it wasn`t for Sues` super photos of the main event, I would never have learned about any of this myself. "Thank you Sue" =D> And thank you Ken.
Doug Breda

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You shure they are aphids? They look a bit like small wasps to me, but it is a bit hard to tell.

DaveW

salden

Post by salden »

DaveW wrote:You shure they are aphids? They look a bit like small wasps to me, but it is a bit hard to tell.

DaveW
I think we narrowed them down to treehopper nymphs. At least Doug found some interesting information that leds to treehopper nymphs.
Sue Alden

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

They are indeed nymphal tree/leafhoppers. It is not unusual for ants to tend these as well as aphids as they both do exude "honeydew" The brown object could be an adult, but without a better angle it is difficult to be sure. Great shots. The ants are genus Formica.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know this brings a question to mind. Do these tree/leafhoppers, like some spiders, carry their young in the abdomen until it is time to give birth and then burst open and die thus releasing the young? :-k I was just noticing the dead adult in the first image.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic