Nikon Labophot 2 focus problems

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tatler56

Nikon Labophot 2 focus problems

Post by tatler56 »

Hello, I have problems with fine focus (some play) with my Labophot 2....are there any simple fixes that anyone knows of? I see from Googling that it is a common problem with this model....thanks in advance, Tatler :(

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Tatler,

Hard to diagnose from "some play".

The biggest problem with Labophot models in this regard was a plastic gear fastened around the fine focus shaft. As I said, can't tell from your description if this is issue, but it would be the first thing I would think of.

When I bought used Labophots I needed to replace several of these. (They are no longer available from Nikon). When the lube stiffened with age, and the fine focus was turned with a certain degree of force, these would crack or break in various ways. They could crack but remain firm on the shaft. Then you would feel a slight "click" at the same point when the fine focus was turned. They could split and lose its firm grip to the shaft. Then as it slipped on the shaft you could feel it slip at times when you tried to fine focus. Or they could simply break off entirely.

If (a big "if" since I can't be certain of the problem) this gear is your problem there is availability of a metal replacement part. It is not cheap however, but if everything else is in good order and you have an extensive system it may be an answer.
http://tinyurl.com/85gexye

tatler56

Post by tatler56 »

Thanks Charles, yes it's as you describe......works but then may slip.....I'll get the screwdrivers out!....thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic