Beyond 1:1 - Dealing with dim VF

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hayath

Beyond 1:1 - Dealing with dim VF

Post by hayath »

Hello,
First post here, have thoroughly enjoyed the images and some great discussions, thank you!

Got myself a set of Extension tubes, and the first thing I noticed other than the real close working distance was the "light drop-off". The ViewFinder went pretty dark and was really tough to locate and determine if the subject was in focus.

On the tabletop managed with a tiny LED Torch to help "see" the subject. Even the outdoor session wasn't any better :(

Any tips from the experienced folks in the "beyond lifesize" realm would be greatly appreciated :)

TIA!

Cheers,
Hayath

cueben

Post by cueben »

Hi hayath,

Welcome aboard! I'm also fairly new with few posts after lurking for a while.

If your camera has a "live view" mode it may help. I find it much easier to look at the screen to setup my shots and focus while shinning lights at the subject. It seems to get less dark than the viewfinder and it also allows you to keep an eye on both the screen and the subject.

If that doesn't work, then you need more light! Either use more powerful light or, even better, bring the light source closer to the subject. The LED light you mention using is probably enough if you move it _really_close to the subject.

Let us know how it goes. If these tips don't help, report your results with more detail of the setup (what subject, what distance, what lighting) and I'm sure we can help you.

-Ben

hayath

Post by hayath »

Thank you Ben! Appreciate that detailed response.

Will try using LiveView to see if it's any better (the downside being the battery drain, but should be manageable)

The current LED torch is way too tiny to really help. will look at adding a better one.

Cheers,
Hayath

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic