Bamboo Longhorn

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

canonian

Bamboo Longhorn

Post by canonian »

Reversed Schneider Kreuznach Componon-S 50mm F/2.8 on bellows, 180 mm from sensor to frontlens, 70 shots @F/5.6 and 1@F/8 in 30µm steps, lit by 8 powerleds (Octo-lite)

Chlorophorus annularis - Bamboo longhorn beetle (bamboo borer).
This cerambycid is primarily a borer of dry bamboo. Due to its particular type of habitat, development is often considerably retarded; as a result, emergence often occurs long after the bamboo has been utilized.
The tunneling larvae bore through the internode walls and through the nodes of bamboo stems. Adults have emerged from pieces of dried bamboo that have been stored for longer than a year.

I received this beauty by mail from a friend in Thailand yesterday, drenched in alcohol, in a leaky container, together with other bugs like wasps, termites and horse flies with dull eyes, all in an appalling state.
At first glance it was a vial filled with wet dirt-brown stuff. Most of the bugs had lost their color, but this one dried up nicely.
It still shows that distinctive 'wet look', like bees or wasp that are kept in or treated with liquid.

There is no kind way to ship bugs across the globe. Allthough I'm glad to see these tropical beauties and have a change to shoot them, it leaves me with a gnawing feeling.
I'm against the trade in these tropical bugs. We are all familiar with the beautiful emerald beetles encased in resin for jewelry.
Most of the bugs that has been shipped to me are bamboo pests. They will be photographed and the photos are send back to Thailand and enlarged for educational purposes.

Partial dorsal view

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Fred,

Thanks for the nice description of the insect's life. It is quit interesting. It looks like your octo-light is working nicely!

One year for Christmas my wife gave me a multi-day pill container, the type with a compartment for each day's dose. She thought it would be great for holding bugs and I could use it to bring them home from vacation (that year in the tropics) to photograph. She was a bit disappointed when I declined as I do not wish to ship bugs from one habitat to another. The risk of accidentally introducing a pest far outweighs the reward.

Kind regards,

Keith

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That's interesting, Fred.
I quizzed an insect importer/dealer at a bug fair recently. He reported that as soon as his name was on the web, he was inundated with people wanting to sell to him from all over the world. He asked a few for good samples, and received a large amount, none of it usable.

I did come home with one set of nice specimens but no, I'm not happy about it.

I also asked about local species, of relatively ordinary stuff. Sawflies, say? "Oh no, nobody wants that, there's no market."

canonian

Post by canonian »

BugEZ wrote:... The risk of accidentally introducing a pest far outweighs the reward.
Before my friend went to Thailand we talked this over.
No live bugs will be shipped, for the reason you mentioned. Especially for the subject of this photoseries being bamboo pests.
He collects them, anesthetize them in the freezer for about a day (still the most 'humane' way of killing them) and then ships them in a container filled with alcohol.
We have to rethink this because the bugs loose a lot of color, but we're not sure how.
If we move them in a dry state they will arrive in parts and pieces for shure.
ChrisR wrote:... but no, I'm not happy about it.
That's the whole dilemma, I really want these beautiful creatures under my lens, seeing so many of them in this forum, but also do not want to take part in the trade of jewel bugs.
Easy to get them on ebay or any place else on the web but no, I decline.
Ads like "50 Jewel Beetle Elytra Wings Ready to Post" simply horrifies me.

Keifer

Post by Keifer »

A contact of mine posted a couple of critters carefully sandwiched between tissue paper so that they couldn't be shaken when in transit.

canonian

Post by canonian »

BTW, no comments on the shot? Input is always welcome.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

BTW, no comments on the shot? Input is always welcome.
Lighting good, colors good, composition clinical, possibly confused by the front leg passing behind the head and mouthparts. I assume the specimens are flexible when first removed from their liquid, so I'm thinking they could be posed if desired.

Personally I find the "wet look" to be a bit derailing. It may be unavoidable under the circumstances, but I can't help wondering if some different treatment might leave the hairs better separated. I was recently told by an entomology prof that he had some good results with bees in chloroform. His description was something like "the hairs just puffed apart again -- it was really cool". I don't know how extensive his experience is, and I don't have any chloroform to test with myself, but it might be worth checking out whatever options are available to you.

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I find the 'look' interesting. It probably intensifies the colours.

I wonder if readily obtainable organic liquids like petroleum (gasoline) paint thinners, nail polish remover (not the ones 'with added moisturiser') or even the ether (?) from 'damp start' aerosols for automobile engines might separate the hairs. Any of these could remove pigments.

Alternatively, placing the insect in an airtight container with silica gel might do it.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

canonian

Post by canonian »

Thank Rik for the tip on Chloroform. I tried to reposition the leg but I guess rigor mortis prevented this. I can try to relax it and prepare it in a less awkward position.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

How did you light it Fred? There's a suggestion of a ring of half a dozen lights, from the eye reflections - unless that's just their structure showing?

canonian

Post by canonian »

ChrisR wrote:How did you light it Fred? There's a suggestion of a ring of half a dozen lights, from the eye reflections - unless that's just their structure showing?
Spot on Chris!
It's lighted by my DIY LED-ring: 8 Powerleds , dimmable, surrounding a plastic yoghurtbucket as diffuser.
There is room for improvement on the diffuser, I use styropor and paper cups, plastic milkbottles, pingpongballs and everything I can lay my hand on.
Packing material is seldom waisted here.

The subjects bathes in light and the whole thing is mounted on a BHMJ focusblock for stacking.
It has been discussed here.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Oh yes that was you! Sorry I missed " 8 powerleds"
Try laminating film as a diffuser (as used for A4 etc paper ). It's quite gentle, but cheap, light, springs to a shape, stickable.
As you have the several light sources then perhaps the one under the beast's head could have been turned down a bit?;)

I've heard of people using a hair-dryer on the wet clumped hair. The only risk would be disaster...

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

ChrisR wrote:The only risk would be disaster...
That gets my vote for potential quote of the year!

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:There's a suggestion of a ring of half a dozen lights, from the eye reflections - unless that's just their structure showing?
Good observation -- I remember thinking "odd eyes" but I didn't take time to consider whether it was anatomy or illumination. Something to think about if you're concerned with accurate interpretation by the viewer.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic