Rare Nikon Bellows Lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

typestar

Post by typestar »

Ray,

thankyou very much for this comparison and the work you had with it...!
That the Printing-Nikkor 105mm is a league itself is clearly shown, in my opinon. The last auction-price for this should be explained with the poor condition of the offered item...

Again, the performance of the Rodenstock lenses, as the D (x1) and the rare Rodenstock (Scitex)-S3 is proofed and are pretty close ...

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

The seller has another for sale today BIN for $1350...Ray

edited...nope, different seller. I was fooled by title. Last one was bombaygoose, this one is hanshare-electronics in Hong Kong...

edited again to add...

I see the serial number of this latest lens is 1208, which is the highest I've seen. That means there were at least 1208 of these lenses produced...

Peter De Smidt

Post by Peter De Smidt »

typestar wrote:Ray,

thankyou very much for this comparison and the work you had with it...!
+1!

I"ve done an inquiry to see what a new printing Nikkor would cost, but I've yet to hear back. My guess is that it's going to be a wee bit more than I can afford.

It would be interesting to see how something like a Mitutoyo 2x would hold up. My guess is that it'd have lower center resolution but very good evenness of performance.

Is the 75mm Rodagon D2x optimized for 2:1 in a forward or reversed direction?

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Peter De Smidt wrote: Is the 75mm Rodagon D2x optimized for 2:1 in a forward or reversed direction?
Reversed.

typestar

Post by typestar »

In "retrevial of the honour" of the famous EL-Apo-Nikkor, we have to bear in mind, that this lenses APO-Enlargaing lenses 105 mm /210 mm and 300 mm once had been designed - long ago - for a frame-coverage of at least 6x7 cm up to 8x10".
Therefore, as the Printing-Nikkor is a 1:1 copy-lens for 35 mm film, it had been been optimized for a much smaller circle (of course larger than our tiny sensor-sizes....) As far as colour-rendering is concerned - the APO-EL Nikkor is a nice lens...

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

ChrisLilley wrote:
Peter De Smidt wrote: Is the 75mm Rodagon D2x optimized for 2:1 in a forward or reversed direction?
Reversed.
Are you sure about that? Then wouldn't it be a 1/2x lens like the 95PN? Makes no sense, since then a user could not buy the lens and use it out of the box on a duplication machine without first finding a 40.5mm to M39 reversing ring, which I think only Nikon made.

Ray

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
Reversed.
Are you sure about that? Then wouldn't it be a 1/2x lens like the 95PN? Makes no sense, since then a user could not buy the lens and use it out of the box on a duplication machine without first finding a 40.5mm to M39 reversing ring, which I think only Nikon made.

Ray
Hi Ray,

I think that that is the general consensus for the 2X 75mm Apo Rodagon D. By the way the 39mm thread fits a Copal 1 shutter. Also, I had a special reversing ring made up that allows the lens to be reversed in the Copal 1 shutter or to load to my special adapter for a special Leica R Photar Adapter (I also have an adapter to use either 75mm Apo Rodagon D lens in the normal orientation to load into the same Leica Photar Adapter R).

Rich

typestar

Post by typestar »

Hi all,

about the use of the Rodagon-D lenses, so far the official pages do not recommend a special reversed use:

http://www.linos.com/pages/mediabase/or ... t_2005.pdf

english here (page 17)
http://www.darkroom.ru/info/manuals/rod ... al_eng.pdf

christian

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

typestar wrote:Hi all,

about the use of the Rodagon-D lenses, so far the official pages do not recommend a special reversed use:

http://www.linos.com/pages/mediabase/or ... t_2005.pdf

english here (page 17)

christian
Christian,

I think that the consensus on the direction of the 75mm f4.5 2X Apo Rodagon D lens on the forum is based upon testing of the lenses in both directions and viewing the results for sharpness. This may not be agree with what is indicated by Rodenstock and Linos. Perhaps these lenses should be tested on a case by basis to find out what direction that your specific lens performs best.

Rich

typestar

Post by typestar »

naturephoto1 wrote: I think that the consensus on the direction of the 75mm f4.5 2X Apo Rodagon D lens on the forum is based upon testing of the lenses in both directions and viewing the results for sharpness. ...Rich
Rich, of course you are right, concerning the test-results... On the other hand, for the ease of use Rodenstock thought certainly about "good" results with their lenses used in a "normal" way... ;-)
Last edited by typestar on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

typestar wrote:about the use of the Rodagon-D lenses, so far the official pages do not recommend a special reversed use:
english here (page 17)
Quoting from page 17:
Thus their typical applications are transparency duplication, the preparation of internegatives... Furthermore, as well as for photography, they can also be used as high resolving optical systems for premium scanners.
Apo-Rodagon-D 2x
75 mm f/4 (Recommended scale range) 1.2x - 2.5X (maximum film format) 6 x 7 cm
The given scale ranges refer to projection; when the lenses are used as taking lenses the respective reciprocal values apply.
I understand the use discussed in this thread to be "as taking lens", so the optimization would be for reciprocal of 1.2X - 2.5X. To optimize for 1.2X - 2.5X, the lens would have to be reversed so that the short conjugate remains on the side with the normal mounting threads.

Have I misunderstood?

--Rik

typestar

Post by typestar »

rjlittlefield wrote:... The given scale ranges refer to projection; when the lenses are used as taking lenses the respective reciprocal values apply.
Rick, sorry for that, I did not read it properly... :oops: Thankyou for pointing to this again!

christian

Peter De Smidt

Post by Peter De Smidt »

With my Linos Magnagon, which seems to be similar to the Rodagon d 2x, best results (in a quick test) at 1:1 and higher magnifications are with the lens reversed.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

naturephoto1 wrote:Hi Ray,

I think that that is the general consensus for the 2X 75mm Apo Rodagon D. By the way the 39mm thread fits a Copal 1 shutter. Also, I had a special reversing ring made up that allows the lens to be reversed in the Copal 1 shutter or to load to my special adapter for a special Leica R Photar Adapter (I also have an adapter to use either 75mm Apo Rodagon D lens in the normal orientation to load into the same Leica Photar Adapter R).

Rich
OK, looks like I need to repeat my test for 75ARD2 with the lens reversed.

But I believe that Copal #1 is M40, not M39...Ray

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
Reversed.

Ray
In last info from Qioptics, the Rodenstock owner, it's clearer than in the classic Rodenstock pdf:
http://www.qioptiq-shop.com/en/Precisio ... 028-000-21

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... m8XQG7Lg-g
See magnification table at pag 37
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic