7 Spot Ladybird

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

7 Spot Ladybird

Post by Harold Gough »

This was to see how the Leitz Wetzlar 60mm Elmarit-R macro and Marumi DHG Achromat +3 Macro supplementary lens worked together.

The lower magnification (1.5:1 at the sensor, x2 factor) was with just the lens (set at f11, ISO 400) Marumi and a lens hood. The higher magnification (1:1 at the sensor x2 factor) was with the Elmarit 1:1 extension ring added behind the lens (f8 ISO 800) but without the hood which cause shadow problems in the direct sunlight.

Crop:

Crop:

A tripod would have been ideal for sharpnes but the beetle was quite active.

That the higher magnification gave a better result is encourging and suggests that it was hand movement which caused the focus to be just slightly out in the first image. A reshoot is not possible until the subsequent deterioration in the weather reverses.

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Here are some further images, uncropped, same details, except, bright overcast and no hood used. This time I was able to get some support from the ground for my left hand which was supporting and focusing the lens. f8 ISO 800:

60mm + Marumi +3

60mm + Marumi +3 +1:1 extension tube:

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

Hi Harold,

These are looking good. So, unless I remember incorrectly the last photo should have a working distance of about 130mm from the front of the lens at 1:1. So with the diopter about how much magnification is being recorded and was this image cropped?

Rich

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Rich,

I was a bit concerned that there might be a tiny amount of motion blur, not that I could see any. The breeze was gusting every few seconds and two out of every three shots had signs of movent on one axis or other. I had a considerable amount of discomfort and some fatigue, neither condusive to sharp images.

I was about the check this:

My 4/3 35mm macro was giving me too little working distance to approach close enough to many insects on horizontal leaves. Also, the AF was a nightmare and MF even more so. The mission was to get better working distance, excellent quality and, as a bonus, perhaps more magnification for the same or for longer working distance.

a) At its maximum magnification/closest working distance the 35mm gives a field about 20mm wide and a working distance of 33mm*

b) The combination I used (60mm, 1:1, x3) gives a field about 15mm wide at a distance of 43mm*

c) Without the 1:1 the 60mm plus Marumi +3 gives a field about 25mm wide at a distance of 80mm*

* Very 'quick and dirty' but sufficient for this purpose. Distance to front of lens or Marumi, respectively, with no hood fitted.

No image in this series was cropped at all, except where stated.

So, with b) I get 30% more working distance, when that of the 35mm was only just too short in most cases. With that longer working distance comes a third more magnification. with c) I get 20% less magnification than with a), the 35mm, but with a working distance 140% longer.

From a frustration, and speedy working, point of view, the instant MF focusing, rather than the endless hunting of AF or uncertainty as to which way to turn to focus with MF, of the 35mm is a huge improvement. The lack of a manual aperture selection ring is something else I will not tolerate when there is an alternative lens with such provision.

Mission accomplished! c) may be the most useful gain.

The Zuiko 35mm AF macro 4/3 no longer serves a useful purpose in my kit and has not been used for many months anyway. So it will be sold.

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

In the first set, the beetles were on Honesty leaves, which were bent/curved, such that the level of reflected light changed wildly as I tracked the beetles across them. This made spot metering totally impractical so I changed to multipoint average metering, with some compensation for the generally bright reflections.

The situation was less acute for the second set but the same metering mode still seemd to be the best option.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic