Blowfly proboscis, take #2 (images added)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DrLazer

Post by DrLazer »

wow!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

One last image. This is the same posing and illumination as above, but using a 25X NA 0.55 lens configuration consisting of a Nikon CF Plan 50X NA 0.55 inf/0 EPI ELWD (8.7 mm) with tube lens Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM macro. Shot at 1 micron, stacked at 2 microns (every 2nd frame). The exposure is also a bit brighter, which makes it easier to see structure in that dark central area.

I did a bit of retouching on this pair from Stack Selected outputs, to repair some transparent-foreground artifacts that were affecting some of the center teeth on the left side. There are still some of those on the right side, but I don't think they'll confuse anybody now that you're warned about them.

--Rik

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Excellent stereo and very very clear. Just beautiful work.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Nice job on a subject with such a range of tones and textures.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks, Dave and Harold.

--Rik

DQE

Post by DQE »

Rik,

As I mentioned previously, for me this stereo pair creates a much more dramatic difference between one of the 2-D images and the stereo pair (viewed in the usual visual fusing manner).

Specifically, I see all of the small dark structures that are actually pointed up, out of the central depression, in 3D. But, in 2D i see these same structures as almost positioned flat against the surrounding depression rather than sticking mostly upwards. I apologize for not knowing the names for these structures and hope my visual description works. I can label the substructures with arrows in PowerPoint if needed.

I don't recall seeing this effect in other 3D vs 2D images. Usually I can visualize the subject's 3D structure from 2D images and all that happens in 3D is that I see them as a corresponding 3D scene where various objects seem to poke out of my PC monitor. Here, I can't mentally figure out what's pointing upwards and what is laying flat against the surrounding depression. If I were to attempt to write up a detailed anatomical description, I would get it wrong if I only used 2D images. Even in retrospect, I cannot see what's actually going on in 2D.

Is my reaction unusual and specific to my personal visual system? Do you or others see such radical differences in scene perception between 3D and 2D in this instance?
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

DQE wrote:Do you or others see such radical differences in scene perception between 3D and 2D in this instance?
Absolutely. I handed a stereo viewer to my wife and asked her to take a look. Her response was simple: "Whoa!" It's the same for both of us as for you -- the stereo gives immediate perception of 3D structure, while the 2D is almost incomprehensible.

I think the difference is so strong because a) the structure is unfamiliar and unexpected, and b) shape-from-shading clues don't work because of the subject coloration and the flat lighting. Even if this were a large sculpture in a museum, I think it would be challenging to illuminate so as to convey the shape in a single picture.

The proboscis is certainly a vivid example, but it's not the first time I've encountered this effect. See HERE for another subject that I really can't see properly without the stereo.

--Rik

stevekale

Post by stevekale »

Absolutely amazing! I need to (fix my camera and then) master those stereos.

pierre

Post by pierre »

Impressive work Rik.

Thanks for the share.
Regards

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic