Minolta lens(es) on Canon body?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nielsgeode

Minolta lens(es) on Canon body?

Post by nielsgeode »

About half a year ago, I switched completely from Sony/Minolta to Canon. In the meantime, I have sold most of my Sony/Minolta gear. However, I still have a Minolta 50mm f/2.8 macro 1:1 lens that I would like to keep.

Is there a possibility to use it as a manual focus lens on my Canon 5D? I do not need infinity, because I would only use it for photographing books on a copy stand (where my canon 100mm macro is too much tele). I strongly prefer an adapter without optics, so I don't loose any image quality.

Thanx!
Niels

Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Like this ebay item: 130686767986 ?

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

Exactly :D , except that shipping ($50) is insanely expensive and I have a Minolta AF lens which is physically incompatible with Minolta MD.

Niels

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I believe the adapter Steve S mentioned above is for older Minolta MD mount lenses, which are not the same as the Sony Alpha (Minolta AF/Maxxum) lenses. If your Minolta 50/2.8 macro is of this older type (with a manually operable aperture ring) then it would do the job.

If your lens is the Minolta AF/Maxxum mount I do not believe (but am not certain) there is any way to adjust the lens aperture unless it its mounted to a Minolta/Sony body with the proper electrical connections and electronics. If that is the case an adaptation doesn't seen to make much sense. However there are a few adapters on Ebay that seem to provide the appropriate mechanical connections.

130927520388 ... appears to be "glassless", simple tube

181084545158 and 190792826499 (and others) ... looks like they have a glass element to maintain infinity focus. Optically probably not a great idea, but the glass can probably be easily removed.

Photo-DIY

Post by Photo-DIY »

I made a Sony A to Canon EF mount adapter.
But as Charles wrote, it is with most lenses not really good to use - the lens has no iris ring, and the tickness one could use for an lever is too small - as long as one wants infinity.
It seems possible to make an macro adapter with iris lever (like the adapters for Nikon G-type lenses on Canon EOS cameras from Novoflex. But I think there is not enough demand.

I made my adapter in case I could get a Sony STF 135mm lens with apodization filter - want to compare it with my DIY way.
Or for Mirror lenses with Minolta A mount.
Photo Tinkerers Heaven and Hell:
http://www.4photos.de/index-en.html
Some own work - and a bigger list of DIY links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic