Polarisation and Cross-Polarisation

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DQE

Post by DQE »

A technical forum issue: when I click on the "next page" or "2" link, I get an error message:

"No posts exist for this topic"

Is this just a minor transient error or has something gone wrong with this thread?

Presumably, this post will be placed on page 2 and may fix the apparent (presumably minor) technical malfunction.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

DQE wrote:Is this just a minor transient error or has something gone wrong with this thread?
Don't know. I don't recall anything like this being reported before, but on the other hand it's not the sort of thing that lends itself to being a transient error. Thanks for the heads-up.

--Rik

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Is it possible that the "No posts. . ." message is returned when someone adds, and then deletes, a post that created a second page, and no subsequent post has yet been added?

I occasionally get a "Topic Reply Notification" via email, and click on the link only to get the "No posts exist for this topic" (edit--see correction below). I've imagined that the cause was someone deleting a post after the notification when out, but before I clicked the link.

Edit: Funny, I just (not a minute after sending the above) clicked on such an email notification. The exact message returned is a bit different in wording than I had recalled: "The topic or post you requested does not exist."

--Chris

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

stevekale wrote:BTW I do have one question regarding Andrew's experiment here

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... larization

The polarising film is coiled tightly against the diffusion sheet. Presumably light hitting the diffusion sheet doesn't get much of a chance to scatter before being polarised. Given the snoot apertures are still large relative to the image, I can't see how the diffusion sheet would make a big difference.
Neither can I :) It was probably just laziness and not taking it out. There is going to be some scattering anyway going through the holding tube. The snoots are just there so that I illuminate the subject and not the workbench.

To be honest, I think that with a lot of these advanced (?) lighting techniques it is best to proceed empirically. Right now my preferred lighting is bounced off an artificial sky - that's because I'm still trying to find a way of using high power leds for combined modelling and <1msec flash exposure and empirically I lose less light using a bounced diffuser rather than transmitted.
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic