Velocity of Micrasterieas denticulata

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ralfwagner

Velocity of Micrasterieas denticulata

Post by ralfwagner »

Hello,

originally I decided to delete my last foto-series of Micrasterias denticulata, because the alga didn't cooperate very much. It didn't show enough flatness and tried to run away during the photo-shooting.

But a few weks later I thougt, what about the velocity of that thing? Between the first and the last photo of that session the Micrasterieas moved 60 µm. Together with the time stamp from the corresponding jpegs results a velocity of ~ 0,5 µm/s. This is in good accordance with the data given here: http://www.biologie.uni-erlangen.de/bot ... b.6.3.html

The picture shows the overlay of the first and the last picture.

Remark: Some folks in the German forum mentioned, that µm/s must be the new dimension for the working-velocity of German executives. :lol:

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Very nice Ralf. :D
You done well to not delete it. Denticulata? Because of tooth alike body shape I guess? 8)
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

ralfwagner

Post by ralfwagner »

MacroLuv wrote:Denticulata? Because of tooth alike body shape I guess? 8)
I am not quite sure, but I assume it is called denticulata because of the tooth alike lobe-endings and not for the shape of the whole body.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

What you have here Ralf is interesting indeed. I have often given thought to how fast some of the microorganisms I observe, sometimes move. I am extremely poor when it comes to math. I have never understood numbers beyond the elementry level :( However I do find the results of those who are very adept at such things to be interesting. The overlay gives an excellent impression of the span of movement. um/s, I like that. I know some Americans who work at the same speed where I am employed. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic