Proxxon KT70

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Craig Gerard

Proxxon KT70

Post by Craig Gerard »

Proxxon KT70 Micro Compound Table.

I recently received a KT70 and have some questions for other users of this item.

The translation is rather 'rough', is this normal? Understandably the KT70 was designed for purposes not related to photography.

It's a nice compact unit, but I've become accustomed to the Swiss precision of an American made Velmex UniSlide and other linear translation stages. The Proxxon KT70 in no way possesses the precision of a Velmex UniSlide. There is literally no comparison.

It should be okay for use with my drillpress, but I cannot see myself using it for photographic purposes.

Have I possibly received a less than ideal sample or is this 'roughness' a standard characteristic of the Proxxon KT70?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

naturephoto1

Re: Proxxon KT70

Post by naturephoto1 »

Craig Gerard wrote:Proxxon KT70 Micro Compound Table.

I recently received a KT70 and have some questions for other users of this item.

The translation is rather 'rough', is this normal? Understandably the KT70 was designed for purposes not related to photography.

It's a nice compact unit, but I've become accustomed to the Swiss precision of an American made Velmex UniSlide and other linear translation stages. The Proxxon KT70 in no way possesses the precision of a Velmex UniSlide. There is literally no comparison.

It should be okay for use with my drillpress, but I cannot see myself using it for photographic purposes.

Have I possibly received a less than ideal sample or is this 'roughness' a standard characteristic of the Proxxon KT70?

Craig
Hi Craig,

I have one scheduled for delivery either tomorrow or on Tuesday. I will let you know my observations. However, my understanding is that these may need alignment adjustment after they arrive for them to work at their best.

I do not believe that they will work/operate as well as our Velmex units. My intention is to use it as an XY positioner for the subject rather than to be used for focus or stacking.

Presuming it is OK I hope/intend to start a thread about my system (which will be a work in progress) shortly. If it is not OK I will probably return it to Amazon.

Rich

elf

Post by elf »

Is the roughness in the gibs or in the leadscrew? The gibs and/or dovetails can be lapped. The leadscrew and/or nut could be replaced or also lapped.

If you want to automate it, this site may be interesting:
http://hobbymechatronics.com/projects/2 ... -leadscrew

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Thanks for the suggestions.

The dials are difficult to turn and translation is course. I did read in the instructions that it is possible to adjust the 'play', should it become necessary, but this did not seem to have a positive impact.
Adjusting the guide play
If, after time, the coordinate table guide is found to have too much or too little play, the play can be reset using the adjustment screws (Fig.5). In order to adjust the play in the X direction, first relase nut 1 (Fig.5) then set the play using the set screws 2. Lock by re-tightening the nut 1. (Note: Do not over tighten the set screws as the guide will be damaged.) Adjustment of play in the Y direction is performed analogously.
I'm having trouble reconciling the word "analogously" when used in this context.

Nut 1 and Nut 2 are used to adjust tension on the dovetails.
(they can be seen on this page under the number 4):
http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/27100.php

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

I'm having trouble reconciling the word "analogously" when used in this context.
Craig,

"Analogously" here means "in the same way" or "similarly". In this context: 'Adjustment of play in the Y direction is performed in the same way as in X direction, see above.'
And to some extent, when doing so, you will have to use your fingers, so it's also done kinda digitally. :) :wink: :wink:

As to the roughness, I agree that the Newport stages and alike are smoother, but the Proxxon table does the job as long as you don't want to use it at rather high magnifications, I'd say. Never tried mine at more than about 7x .

--Betty

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

Planapo wrote:
Craig,

"Analogously" here means "in the same way" or "similarly". In this context: 'Adjustment of play in the Y direction is performed in the same way as in X direction, see above.'

As to the roughness, I agree that the Newport stages and alike are smoother, but the Proxxon table does the job as long as you don't want to use it at rather high magnifications, I'd say. Never tried mine at more than about 7x .

--Betty
Hi Betty,

Would you say that the Proxxon KT70 table would be more than adequate as an XY positioner for moving the subject up to 10X magnification and possibly more?

Thanks.

Rich

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

naturephoto1 wrote:
Craig Gerard wrote:Proxxon KT70 Micro Compound Table.

Craig
Hi Craig,

I have one scheduled for delivery either tomorrow or on Tuesday. I will let you know my observations. However, my understanding is that these may need alignment adjustment after they arrive for them to work at their best.

I do not believe that they will work/operate as well as our Velmex units. My intention is to use it as an XY positioner for the subject rather than to be used for focus or stacking.

Presuming it is OK I hope/intend to start a thread about my system (which will be a work in progress) shortly. If it is not OK I will probably return it to Amazon.

Rich
Craig,

My Proxxon KT70 table arrived this morning. There is no question that it is coarser for motion translation than my Velmex. I have also found that I am finding much finer adjustment using the wheels rather than the cranks which I suspect may be better for more rapid adjustment (I believe that other forum members have also found this to be the case). With my Vemex I have found the same to be true between the wheel and crank. It is also interesting that the Y axis translation of my Proxxon appears to be smoother than X axis translation.

For my purpose as an XY positioner for my subject, I suspect that this will work, but I am awaiting Betty's response to my query below.
naturephoto1 wrote:
Planapo wrote:
Craig,

--Betty
Hi Betty,

Would you say that the Proxxon KT70 table would be more than adequate as an XY positioner for moving the subject up to 10X magnification and possibly more?

Thanks.

Rich
I suspect as mentioned that the Proxxon KT70 table will work as an XY Positioner for my subject even up to 10X and possibly beyond. It could certainly be smoother for this operation (like a Newport linear stage). I am awaiting Betty's comments regarding this application at this magnification or anyone else with more experience using this unit and more experience than I have.

Rich

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I can move mine in 10 micron divisions, fine for 10x
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ht=proxxon
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Rich,

as NU has said/written and his excellent results prove, the Proxxon is definitely usable for stacking up to 10x (z-axis use).
This fungus-infested ant head was stacked with the Proxxon.

I have not done any stacking with my Proxxon anymore since I had found three very cheap Newport 426 stages with actuators, and for 10x and more I mostly use an old Leitz microscope stand. Like you intend to do, I since then, and when not using the microscope stand, use the Proxxon for positioning in the X,Y-plane.

--Betty

elf

Post by elf »

Craig Gerard wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

The dials are difficult to turn and translation is course. I did read in the instructions that it is possible to adjust the 'play', should it become necessary, but this did not seem to have a positive impact.
Adjusting the guide play
If, after time, the coordinate table guide is found to have too much or too little play, the play can be reset using the adjustment screws (Fig.5). In order to adjust the play in the X direction, first relase nut 1 (Fig.5) then set the play using the set screws 2. Lock by re-tightening the nut 1. (Note: Do not over tighten the set screws as the guide will be damaged.) Adjustment of play in the Y direction is performed analogously.

Nut 1 and Nut 2 are used to adjust tension on the dovetails.
(they can be seen on this page under the number 4):
http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/27100.php

Craig
I'd start by loosening all three gib allen screws on the X section. If it is still hard to turn, then the problem is with the leadscrew/leadscrew nut. I can't find any drawings that show how the leadscrew and nut are put together, but adding thrust bearings may help. See http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/millingmachine.htm for an example on a similar table (attached to a mill)
Quote from website wrote:NEW: Lowering the backlash:

I actually did this because I was chasing an error that was losing my steps, in the end it turned out to be my old laptop but it was nice to tweak the mechanics and get everything oiled and running smoothly. The nuts use on the table are delrin and they provide very low backlash operation, its also not much of a trouble to replace them if they get worn. The only real source of backlash is end float of the leadscrew. The screws are held in tension by the brass adapter that replaces the handwheel at one end and a nut at the other, washers act as thrust bearings. The problem is, if you tweak out the end-play the friction rises dramatically. To get around this I have used some 6mm ID flanged bearings I had lying around. They simply replace the washers and reduce the amount of friction massively, even if only added at one end. Radial bearings have an axial load capacity of about half of the radial capacity, that is normally huge so nothing to worry about there. I literally just plonked them in, though I did use a bit of epoxy just to hold them in place so they can move laterally.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic