Pararobertsite from South Dakota

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JW

Pararobertsite from South Dakota

Post by JW »

I am finally happy with my set-up, having made some small but significant tweaks - addition of a Jin Finance iris (see here) and taking the suggestion from harisA to do some PS work to reduce the purple fringing (see near end of this post.
The iris adds a bit of depth of field, but more importantly significantly reduces flare and CA, the remaining minor CA is mostly cleaned up in PS.

Pararobertsite is related to the similar robertiste, and is an extremely rare mineral named for the preeminent mineralogist of the South Dakota School of Mines, Willard L. Roberts. Most likely originally collected by Roberts, then passed through the hands of the famous micromount duo of Lou Perloff and Julie Weber. The matrix is bobdownsite, another obscure mineral only recently recognized as unique. The locality is the Tip Top Mine, near Custer, South Dakota

Both sets: ZS Dmap method, corrected with Pmax, Canon 10D, 75-300 mm IS zoom tube lens, Nikon CF Plan 10x/0.30 EPI infinity focused objective lens fitted with a manual iris closed down about 2 stops. Dual flash, second-curtain sync manual exposure at 3 sec. shutter speed, with diffusion screen.

47 image stack - about a 1 mm field of view.

100 % crop of above

35 image stack - about a 1.4 mm field of view.

100 % crop of above
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic