Brown Lacewing stereos

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

BugEZ

Brown Lacewing stereos

Post by BugEZ »

Here are some brown Lacewing shots.

First two made with 30 shots each with my 50mm Pentax F4 macro lens on 10 cm of extension, diffused LED lighting.
2 sec, f8, Pmax, 30 exposures per stereo.

Second made with 120 shots each with my 10X Oly. 2 sec exposures. Pmax.

phytoplankton

Post by phytoplankton »

Neat. I like the second set best.

An interesting note about Lacewings. I avoid killing brown and green lacewings when possible. They and their larvae are ferocious predators of aphids. I used to feed them to my venus flytraps before I learned this because they are so easy to catch. :oops:

BugEZ

Excellent Idea

Post by BugEZ »

phytoplankton wrote
I avoid killing brown and green lacewings when possible. They and their larvae are ferocious predators of aphids.
I appreciate the benefit of having the lacewings in abundance in my yard in northern Illinois. I generally don't use pesticides on my garden or on my landscaping, and when I do apply them, I treat trouble spots and don't broadcast them. I don't recall ever finding an aphid in my yard, but I don't raise roses. I am not certain what the lacewing larva find to eat but clearly, they find something. Too bad that lacewings don't eat Japanese beetles.

This particular specimen was discovered indoors in late October/early November, after we have regular "hard" frosts. Were I to have returned it to the wild, I suspect it would have died quickly.

I find it interesting that these "late year" lacewings are so hairy when compared to their midsummer kin. Perhaps they avoid predation by delaying their adult phase till after many of the predator species have died from the cold.

Keith

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Very effective stereo but they need to be viewed from about twice the typical distance.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

BugEZ

a few more shots

Post by BugEZ »

Since posts have been sparse, here are a few more shots of the brown lacewing. A different specimen.

Keith

50mm Pentax f4 macro lens on extension tubes. f8 , 2 sec exposure, 34 slices per shot

10X .3NA OLY with 200mm Pentax F4 telephoto as tube lens. Telephoto and OLY not stopped down. 130 slices per frame.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic