Shooting with a reversed 18-55 mm Canon kit lens

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

An update about magnifications...

I just now tried this again using the newer model lens, the one labeled "CANON ZOOM LENS EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II" on the front ring.

Using also a thin one-piece reversing ring, field width goes to as much as 37 mm.

I haven't shot any tests, but the image on Live View looks pretty encouraging except for the corners.

--Rik

seta666

Post by seta666 »

It can be a poor's man MP-E for sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW0cFk9d-P0

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

seta666 wrote:It can be a poor's man MP-E for sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW0cFk9d-P0
That's a very elegant conversion!

I cannot resist making the pun that although the lens is reversible, the conversion is not. :wink:

For readers who don't want to sit through an 8:35 video, what it demonstrates is how to start with a single lens, then disassemble, modify, rearrange the parts, and reassemble them to make a new unit that is similar to eurythyrea's reverse adapter with cable and lens, except with the lens glued into the middle of the assembly. Definitely a cool piece of DIY work!

--Rik

_sem_

Post by _sem_ »

Interesting thread :)
I once played with a Nikon kit zoom 18-55, and also with the 18-200VR :lol:
Qualitywise, the results were best at the wide end (max magnification).
Magnification can be increased by inserting an additional extension tube. Moreover, this also seems to improve quality relatively (diffraction gets worse). I think this is due to the sensor being closer to the MFD position of the reversed lens.
BR has suggested an alternative option with a close-up diopter "filter" between the camera and a reversed old 35-70mm lens.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic