Raynox 250 and a reversed 50mm,,,,,,,,,,

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dicklaxt

Raynox 250 and a reversed 50mm,,,,,,,,,,

Post by dicklaxt »

,,,,,,,,hung on the end of the fixed lens of the S3is.

It looks like this setup has picked up more detail than the 250 alone but the color has gone south and the image is hazy/milky.I can PP the color but is there a way to combat the hazy/milky problem?

dick

Here is a bit of editing in PS with a high pass filter and hardlight,I don't know if I like it or not

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Dick,
It looks like this setup has picked up more detail than the 250 alone
Not sure what you are after...higher magnifications or more "detail" (resolution?) at a given magnification.

Your Raynox DCR250 is a +8 diopter (125mm focal length). The 50mm lens is essentially a +20 diopter. So what you are doing here is "stacking" them together. You will get higher magnifications than either used alone, but it is not surprising to experience image problems.

In an endeavor like this it is hard to predict what will work well together, so experimenting the way you are is important. But it is probably generally safe to say that the results obtained from stacking disparate optics on the front will not provide results of the same quality as a single quality close-up lens used alone. So, for example, I would use the Raynox DCR250 alone, and increase the focal length of the Canon lens until I achieved the maximum possible magnification. Then , if more magnification was needed, go to a (single) higher "diopter" (shorter focal length) close-up lens on the front...perhaps something like your 50mm lens. I would only resort to stacking pieces together when the magnification needed was greater than could be achieved with a single piece on front.

dicklaxt

Post by dicklaxt »

Thanks Chas,I agree but I am trying to find the ideal marriage of components and maybe what I have will never gel in that sense but I'll keep experimenting.

I told one of my grandchildren not long ago to never give up and just keep trying,now I have a great grandaughter going on 3 that tells my wife that everytime she is frustrated over something..... :)

dick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic