Macro learning

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

johan

Macro learning

Post by johan »

These are the last few I've added to my Flickr stream, C&C welcome. From my perspective they're ok, I know they're nothing special but I suppose at least they make me happy and keep me out there doing stuff. It's quite interesting to try and analyse the factors that limit productivity.

Aligning camera: I miss a lot because it's hard to focus in on what you see. Often I find myself misfocusing, ie the focus is at x but the bug is actually 3 darn cm to the left. This can waste me up to 20s if I have to retry a few times. I think I need to construct some sort of guide to help me. Anyone else do this? Having to keep the lens at f/5.6 or f/8 doesn't really help with this and I've started to chat to a company that can help me construct a device that will let me focus in wide open but stop down the reversed lens for the photo as I press the shutter. Might be interesting.

Perspective: the few bugs I can manage to find usually have their back towards me. As interesting as that might be (I've got some splendid shots of aphid cornicles), the bum of a bug doesn't really engage me visually or personally :)

Perspective2: backgrounds and light do funny things when they're out of focus like these are. I havent really learned to see and judge what they'll look like yet. Are there any recommended books people have seen a good discussion of macro backgrounds at? I do wonder whether instead of looking for the bug and hoping to make an interesting background I should try looking for an aesthetic background in the garden and wait for a bug to come along.

Time: practice makes perfect, but like all of you this is just a hobby in my spare time, and with family, chores, work etc I just have a couple of hrs per week to practice. Our house is small so I just don't have the room to set up a tabletop thing that I can leave and resume whenever. Having had enough of rowing with the wife because she wants me to bath the kids rather than me going outside for 30 mins whilst there's still some light, I've resorted to going out with a torch in one hand and cam in the other once everyone else is in bed. Tricky.

Mobility: when my setup was on a flash bracket I found that the diffuser often got in the way and disturbed the branches the bugs were sitting on. Since my bracket broke I put my flash on top, after sacrificing diffuserV2 to make a diffuserV4, which fits on top, it's a real help

Lens: bugs come in all shapes and sizes and keeping the el-nikkor 50 on means a FoV too small for anything larger than about 5mm or so. Mounting a lens on a zoom doesn't seem to work. Pentax don't have an MPE-65. Think I'm stuffed on this one and I'm looking at changing lenses quite a bit.

Bugs: the variety in my garden isn't the greatest, or maybe they're there but I can't find them :). I've tried posting on various forums for some tips, but are there any books or sites that you folks use that tell you where and when to find things?

DoF: my experimentation is all very limted DoF and I think the next thing to start playing with might be Zerene to bring some more variety to my stuff.

Taken at night, ok, but in retrospect would have been nicer to get the whole claw(?) in focus rather than just the top.

The orange thing coming in from the top right is distracting, should have cloned that out. Otherwise nothing special really.

More DoF would have been nice.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Johan,

The third image, in particular, is a good photograph.
I also like the background of the first image and the composition is also interesting.

This article by LordV may help with some of the questions outlined in your post.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=807056

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Johan wrote "Bugs: the variety in my garden isn't the greatest, or maybe they're there but I can't find them Smile. I've tried posting on various forums for some tips, but are there any books or sites that you folks use that tell you where and when to find things?"

Any lamp that has a high output of UV will attract bugs at night. Hung on a tree or bush or laid on the grass will allow bugs to be on a natural background. Also, the light will help in focussing.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

johan

Post by johan »

Thank you both

Craig, I read that LordV article and the resulting thread some time ago. It's a great general intro. I did mail him about something as he lives just a few miles away but he never responded.

NU, thank you so much for reminding me. I really should have thought of this myself. I have some perfectly good MV bulbs sitting in the shed which I used to use at night. No reason not to run them at daytime.

abpho

Post by abpho »

I believe the Peterson Field Guide to Insects talks about how to capture insects. Best bet is to hit the net.

Other ideas:
1) Place a sheet under a tree. Shake the tree and see what falls down.
2) Bury a jar (pot, or bowl) into the ground. Place a cover over the jar with enough room for insects to walk (slither, crawl) under. In the morning see what fell in and got trapped.
3) Bright lights work. A porch light can attract months etc.
4) Sit down and wait. You will find something eventually.
5) Try baiting the bugs. Honey, sugar water, rotten food, dead animals, etc.

As for your lens issue. You could reverse mount a 50mm onto a mid to tele zoom. You magnification factor would be the focal length of the zoom divided by 50mm. Or use bellows. Not as nice a package as the MP-E. But can be made for cheaper if you already have some of the components.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

This is the time of year when orb web spiders (Araneus) become easy to find and they make good subjects, as do their webs when laden with drops of dew in the morning.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

johan

Post by johan »

Thank you very much abpho & Harold

I'm intrigued by what you say abpho about using a zoom. This was my original 'cunning plan' and I'd do anything to have this working... but it ended in complete failure for me. Every combination that I tried gave me chronic, chronic, unusable vignetting. Do you have a combination that actually works?

Harold, thank you. A saw some of those last night I think, and have some tremendously unthrilling shots of their behinds :). Almost got a nice headon but it ran away. I'm sure it'll come with perseverance. Can you recommend any reading or websites that give me some pointers as to what is "about" in our part of the world month by month? UKmoths used to do a very handy "what's flying this month" feature although I can't actually seem to find it doing a quick browse. That said I've just found the same thing on another site, back-garden-moths.co.uk

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I can't think of a wildlife calendar website. Try a Google search.

This may help;

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=13314

You may find our FAQs of interest, starting with:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=7459

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

johan

Post by johan »

Thank you Harold

abpho

Post by abpho »

johan wrote:Every combination that I tried gave me chronic, chronic, unusable vignetting. Do you have a combination that actually works?
I think that you will always get some of that. You just have to crop. The only experience I have with using a reversed lens is a 50mm on a 50mm. That gave me 1:1. There was some black around the edges because of the smaller image circle. Here is my example:

That is the full image on a APS-C format size dSLR. With a full frame sensor it would be worse of course.

Maybe some of the others here have found a combination that yields wider image circles.

johan

Post by johan »

Thank you abpho. What I was especially interested in was your zoom + prime statement. Prime + prime always seems to work fine for me, no vignetting (100mm +50/40/35/28/24) but I've never yet found a zoom + prime that works for me without vignetting. Sadly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic