eBay extension tubes with 52 mm thread?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

enricosavazzi

eBay extension tubes with 52 mm thread?

Post by enricosavazzi »

I recently bought a few stacks of extension tubes from eBay (eBay item n. 230998683144) thinking they had 52 mm threads. When I got them, I realized the threads appear instead to be 56 mm (which is a problem, since there are no standard 56 mm filter adapters, only 55 and 58 ).

Could someone point me to an eBay article of a similar type (it does not matter which type of bayonet adapters are at the front and rear of the tube stack), but with threads between tubes known for sure to be 52 mm?
--ES

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Why not just buy extension tubes that are advertised as 52mm? They're not available all the time, but at this moment I see offerings of 28, 21, 14, and 7 mm length, all new, from seller fotopus, for example item 161382198838. Search on "52mm extension tube" and see what pops up.

Search at Amazon finds similar products, from seller Photo Plus, same guy?

--Rik

dickb

Re: eBay extension tubes with 52 mm thread?

Post by dickb »

enricosavazzi wrote:I recently bought a few stacks of extension tubes from eBay (eBay item n. 230998683144) thinking they had 52 mm threads. When I got them, I realized the threads appear instead to be 56 mm (which is a problem, since there are no standard 56 mm filter adapters, only 55 and 58 ).

Could someone point me to an eBay article of a similar type (it does not matter which type of bayonet adapters are at the front and rear of the tube stack), but with threads between tubes known for sure to be 52 mm?
Are you sure that these rings are 56mm? I found only 57mm 0.75 and 60mm 0.75 sized extension rings of this type. I know of no 52mm sized chinese extension rings of this type. I have got 52mm sized rings, part of a Leitz set so not quite as affordable..

enricosavazzi

Re: eBay extension tubes with 52 mm thread?

Post by enricosavazzi »

dickb wrote:[Are you sure that these rings are 56mm? I found only 57mm 0.75 and 60mm 0.75 sized extension rings of this type. I know of no 52mm sized chinese extension rings of this type. I have got 52mm sized rings, part of a Leitz set so not quite as affordable..
I only measured with a ruler (house just sold, all my stuff packed away, temporarily living in a 2-room apartment waiting for us to buy a new place, then sell also the apartment), so they could very well be 57mm x 0.75. The only thing I know for sure is that they are too small for 58mm and too big for 55mm adapters, and that the thread pitch appears to be 0.75.

Each stack of tubes comes with a 4/3 front and a 4/3 rear adapter, though. I already planned to use a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter to connect to my micro 4/3 bodies, so I could also use one of the 4/3 female adapters at the front of a stack of threaded tubes, and add an M42 to 4/3 adapter. From M42 I can then get to almost anything else with a second adapter.

My original reason to buy these tubes blindly is that they are so cheap that it would be no great loss even if they turned out to be an odd size. As it looks like, though, there is a simple solution.
--ES

elf

Post by elf »

My 4/3rds tubes' threads are 56.68mm OD, so would be called 57mm. I've just ordered a set for m43 and the seller says the OD is around 52mm. It will probably be a month or so before they land on my doorstep.

Here's the link to the item. (They must be good, the price doubled since yesterday :roll: :roll: )

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Reminder - old Nikon K rings are 52mm threads, obviously with the F bayonets at the ends. (Plus a nice thin F-F ring).
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic