Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cactuspic

Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus

Post by cactuspic »

This miniature cactus is interesting as both an abstract study of spination and for their wonderful flowers. Hope you enjoy.

Irwin

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Great plant for mealybug to hide themselves on (see pic2) :lol:

Seriously, I love the little Turbinicarpus species (and they don't take up much bench space either) - the species are quite variable (spination) and some have an attractive grey body colour too.

Pic1 is a stunner - would have folks guessing for hours!

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Really looks like something from the coral reefs Irwin, like feather Stars. Very beautiful Cactus.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thanks Bruce and Doug :) I did think of mealy bugs , Bruce. In fact, it was my first thought. Curiously, one of the ways I was sensitized to macros was the inspection process of looking for mealy bug and their eggs in the white mammillarias. When I didn't see mealies, iI enjoyed the pespective.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Congratulations there Irwin, looks great on the front cover =D>

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Missed this one Irwin. Congratulations! Its a plant with variable flower colours I find?

http://www.mfaint.demon.co.uk/cactus/pi ... tml#0234fl

Turbinicarpus used to be considered very rare and difficult when I first started in the 1960's, as were Ariocarpus. I find they are now some of the easiest plants to raise from seed for me and will often flower in their second or third year.

DaveW

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Well deserved selection for the front cover Irwin. Apart from being an ibteresting study of the spination it's also a very artistically pleasing presentation.

Congratulations!

Bruce

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thanks Ken, Dave and Bruce. :D This shot was also a cover for the CSSA (Cactus and Succulent Society of America) Journal. Its one of my favorites.

Dave, I once had a lavender flowered pseudopectinatus, but.... :(

Thanks again.

Irwin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic