www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Fuzzy seed pods, ID requested
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fuzzy seed pods, ID requested

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Fuzzy seed pods, ID requested Reply with quote

I figure somebody will recognize these right off. Location is Poudre Canyon above Fort Collins, Colorado.

What are they?

HTC Droid Incredible 2 cell phone, single image and crop.

Thanks!

--Rik
Cactusdave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a species of Clematis. The seeds are very distinctive. In Europe there is a species with similar feathery seeds with the descriptive common name in Britain of 'old man's beard'
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for the suggestion. I agree that the seed pods look like Clematis. And indeed there is a lot of Clematis in this area. But all the Clematis that I know are vines that grow interleaved with other woody bushes. In this case, the bush was standing alone, no vine in sight, and it was uniformly covered with these seed pods arising directly from woody stems. So I'm thinking not Clematis. I'll be interested to hear what other suggestions come up.

Thanks!

--Rik
Cactusdave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right, on second look the leaves and structure of the seed head are not particularly Clematis like. I just don't know the plants of North America well enough.
twebster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These could be a species of mountain mahogoney. This is a favorite browse of deer.

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! Smile
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo -- thanks, Tom!

That's a small group, and judging from the leaf form and habit of the bush, this would be Cercocarpus montanus -- Alderleaf Mountain-mahogany.

Wikipedia notes that "The Alderleaf variety is prominent in the foothills of Colorado but usually remains under 1 meter-3 feet in height because of incessant browsing by elk and deer. This variety of mountain-mahogany is generally located on the south or west facing slopes because it cannot thrive in the shade on the north facing slopes." This particular bush was more like 2 meters high, but it was located in a popular day-use area that I suspect the deer tend to stay away from.

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: