Strolling along

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

salden

Strolling along

Post by salden »

Not too much I could do with this fellow. He was in an unnatural environment, casting a big shadow :lol: . Acted like he had no cares in the world.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sue commented:
Acted like he had no cares in the world.
Bet all that would change if a bird came along. :lol: Looks a lot like a "tater bug" Sue. Nice sharp image of it and the rather large shadow looks fine there. :D

salden

Post by salden »

The shadow reminds me of the Lord of the Rings when Sam was going up the stairs casting a hugh shadow, which scared the orcs until they seen it was only a wee hobbit :lol:
Sue Alden

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful beetle Sue. It does look like a "Badayda" Beetle. Thats the way a true new Englander says potato. (thats ba-day-da) :smt081
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

salden

Post by salden »

I grew up in the South and we just said tater...now here in the NE, they want you to pronounce the entire word :roll:
Sue Alden

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

We call them coloradobugs, and they are beginning to pose a threat to tataerplants over here.
I found one myself yesterday in our garden.

Nice capture

All the best,

Tom B
Sometimes smaller is better eh? nodge nodge :lol

Canon EOS 450D
Sigma MACRO 70mm F2.8 EX DG
Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro

No external flash yet :(

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I remember reading a story about these beetles being only found in one place at the foot of the Rocky Mts. and when the people moved west with the potato plants, these beetles loved them and now they have spread throughout the world. I am not sure, but it might be in the book "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson. Also found it here!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_potato_beetle I know I read about it even before the internet :D
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I've read the same story, Doug. Weird the things we humans do!

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Don't know if it is still the case, but if you found a Colorado Beetle in the UK you used to have to report it to the police! Sort of "Public Enemy No. 1". In the 1950's I remember Police Stations and other similar places used to have an identification picture up on the wall so they could identify any found and no doubt at that time report to our then Ministry of Agriculture (Now DEFRA).

Wether we ever got many imported into Britain I don't know, as I have never heard any publicity about them for years.

However, since starting this post I have just done a Google search and it is still a notifiable pest in the UK and within the EU. See:-

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/colorado.htm

There is also a link on the left of the above site to how many beetles were detected in the UK in 2004 to 2005, and where from.

DaveW

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very interesting post, DaveW -- thanks!
--Rik

salden

Post by salden »

This one is a PA (USA) resident. We have loads of em. Tom B - are you in the UK?
Sue Alden

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If you mean me, I am about 4 miles from Nottingham UK.

We also used to have posters up when I was at school in the 1940's showing Colorado Beetles for the children to tell teachers or parents if they ever saw one!

DaveW

salden

Post by salden »

Thanks Dave. I was wondering if "nephiliim" was in the UK, I do not remember where exactly he lives, but he seen one too.
Sue Alden

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic