Nikon Microscope/Camera setup

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lvmnhien

Nikon Microscope/Camera setup

Post by lvmnhien »

Hi there,

I am newbie and I am looking to buy a camera to fit my Nikon microscope. Here is the story.

It is a Nikon stereo microscope SMZ-2T and it comes with a Panasonic CCTV Camera WV-CP240. Sadly, the CCTV camera does not power up, and also it does not come with any other cables for video output. So, I will discard this camera. I think that why the previous owner let it go.

I am looking to buy a camera that can be used on this microscope. Also, that camera must be connectable to a PC. The microscope comes with a Nikon CF PL 2.5XA and another Nikon connector (used to connect with the Panasonic camera) that has 25mm thread opening. I think I can reuse these two components to connect to a camera. I have no knowledge of what type of camera I should buy. What brand is decently good? Do I need to buy any more accessories for connecting? Is there any need for a special graphic card for my PC? Thanks. Money is limited to $500.

Below are some pics of the scopes and of the connector.

Image[/img]

Stevie

Post by Stevie »

This would be my suggestion .
These are used by many to shoot the planets and the moon(s) but also for deepsky stuff .
You can choose for a color or mono cam , with or without IR blocking filter .
Firewire or usb connection and full manual settings ect .

lvmnhien

Post by lvmnhien »

Thank you for your suggestion. Have you ever tried any cameras from this company? If so, could you let me know about the quality.

Just another question. I have seen most people here using their DSLR cameras to attach to a microscope, rather than using a CCTV camera connecting directly to a computer. It seems that buying a seperate DSLR is a common trend compared to my way. I don't know what type of set up you have, but if you also use a DSLR, could you share some of the reasons behind your choice? I am in between two setups now.

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

I have the cmos version...does a good job
Just shoot it......

lvmnhien

Post by lvmnhien »

SONYNUT wrote:I have the cmos version...does a good job
Do you mind posting real pictures of the camera and your set-up? The picture of the camera on the website is so small and generic. I could not figure out how to attach it to my trinocular head. Do you have to buy any extra connecting rings/components? Thanks.
Last edited by lvmnhien on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lvmnhien

Post by lvmnhien »

Has anyone ever tried cameras from AmScope like the one in this link?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1-3MP-USB2-0-Digital ... 2c5e3acaeb

I am tempted to try it because of the price, but don’t know if it can last long.

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

they are c mount...just like the video camera you have on there now....usb cord right to the included software...
lvmnhien wrote:
SONYNUT wrote:I have the cmos version...does a good job
Do you mind posting real pictures of the camera and your set-up? The picture of the camera on the website is so small and generic. I could not figure out how to attach it to my trinocular head. Do you have to buy any extra connecting rings/components? Thanks.
Just shoot it......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic