Chaoborus phantom midge larva musculature

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Chaoborus phantom midge larva musculature

Post by gpmatthews »

A favourite subject, revisited at an "adult pond dipping" I ran at my local nature reserve. We brought samples back to the visitors' centre and I was able to display live microscope images on a large TV screen used as a monitor. This one caused a few gasps from the assembled group (I've tidied up the background and rebalanced the colour):

Microscope: Zeiss Standard
Ocular: Zeiss KPL-W 10/18
Objective: Zeiss 1.6/0.03 - 5/0.1
Substage: Leitz 0.9 NA ICT, top flipped out, pol only (no DIC prism), retardation filter.
Specimen: live, anaesthetised/lidocaine
Warnham LNR, Horsham, UK, 19-Jul-2011

Sorry, no scale bar: there wasn't time to calibrate, but Chaoborus is a few mm long.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Very nice and unusual image. Pol or DIC/Pol is a great way to show up muscles in transparent specimens as they are highly birefringent. I like the colours in this one too. That variable zoom low power objective is a useful bit of kit.
Last edited by Cactusdave on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Wow, it seems there's a funky laser light show going on inside that beastie! :shock: :wink:

Great capture, Graham!

--Betty

Harald

Post by Harald »

Amazing!
The first color X-ray ??
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

A little belatedly - just to say my T-shirt arrived safely: thanks!! I shall wear it to the Quekett Exhibition to fly the flag.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic