www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Chaoborus phantom midge larva musculature
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up photography and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chaoborus phantom midge larva musculature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpmatthews

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Chaoborus phantom midge larva musculature Reply with quote

A favourite subject, revisited at an "adult pond dipping" I ran at my local nature reserve. We brought samples back to the visitors' centre and I was able to display live microscope images on a large TV screen used as a monitor. This one caused a few gasps from the assembled group (I've tidied up the background and rebalanced the colour):

Microscope: Zeiss Standard
Ocular: Zeiss KPL-W 10/18
Objective: Zeiss 1.6/0.03 - 5/0.1
Substage: Leitz 0.9 NA ICT, top flipped out, pol only (no DIC prism), retardation filter.
Specimen: live, anaesthetised/lidocaine
Warnham LNR, Horsham, UK, 19-Jul-2011

Sorry, no scale bar: there wasn't time to calibrate, but Chaoborus is a few mm long.

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.
Cactusdave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and unusual image. Pol or DIC/Pol is a great way to show up muscles in transparent specimens as they are highly birefringent. I like the colours in this one too. That variable zoom low power objective is a useful bit of kit.

Last edited by Cactusdave on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Planapo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it seems there's a funky laser light show going on inside that beastie! Shocked Wink

Great capture, Graham!

--Betty
Harald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!
The first color X-ray ??

You donīt need eyes to see, you need vision
gpmatthews

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little belatedly - just to say my T-shirt arrived safely: thanks!! I shall wear it to the Quekett Exhibition to fly the flag.

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: