Nikon DIC hunting (many questions...)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Litonotus

Nikon DIC hunting (many questions...)

Post by Litonotus »

Hi there!

my basic assumption is:
I would like to complete DIC system (I have the nikon microphot FXA microscope)

and the basic question is 'what to do to get it?' I noticed that DIC parts for the microphot are almost impossible to complete. It uses dedicated reflected light system so that makes it even harder... I have to get additional parts like an universal epi-illuminator, mercury lamp, mercury lamp power supply... It also uses different optics - BD objectives (the only easy to get parts) which are 210 mm TL.
I have not seen a transmitted light system for this microscope, but I suppose that somekind of hybrid one is possible to be done. I have too few knwoledge about it, I mean I know what parts are necessary but I have no knowledge about their compatibility... all I know is that nikon labophot/opitphot stage fits also the microphot model, and many parts look like they should work together... I have seen Rogelio Moreno succesfully completed nikon hybrid DIC system, so I count on your advice (: many of the others here are very experienced too.

another way is to try to complete (by selling current stuff first of course) an eclipse model ... especially the E600 one. but it is very rare, and even when it appears on ebay sellers usually don't ship outside US ): (I have not tried to negociate it yet...) There are many parts for the eclipse series, the biggest problem may be the DIC nosepiece and the universal condenser... CFI plan fluor objectives are possible to get, sometimes even basic planapos after nikon introduction of VCs or Lambda lines.

ebay is good but what do you think about other places? seo enterprises for example? there are many shops like that and sometimes they offer many parts and prices are also acceptable, but I have no experience with them. are they trustworthy? another place to buy parts are companies like scopeoptics, spachoptics, labx etc. but only few of them ship internationally ):

thanks for any response that may be helpful (:

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Litonotus,

The transmited DIC system for the Microphot is similar to the Optiphot, it used an Universal condenser with DIC prism for 20x, 40x and 100x, that system is not flexible because that prisms will work only with Nikon Plan achromat objectives marked DIC (the Plan Apo are not supported). The DIC system for the Eclipse serie is more flexible (there is a DIC system for the Optiphot 2 and Labophot 2A that is flexible too; but not too much parts are listed on ebay). With the Eclipse serie you have the old system (used on the E600, E800 and E1000) and the new system (used on the 80i and 90i). Actually I am using the old system and I have some objective prism for the new system (I am watching ebay for the condenser prism), on the DIC nosepiece can be mounted the old and new DIC objective prism. With the Eclipse serie you can use Plan Fluor or Plan Apo objectives.

The Nikon Eclipse old DIC system uses 3 condenser prism: L. for objectives with NA < .5, M for objectives with NA > .5 and < 1, H for objectives with NA > 1. The new system uses 3 condenser prism: N1 for objectives with NA < .5 and N2 for objectives with NA > .5, NR for high resolution with 60x and 100x objectives.

The good news is that NIkon is selling right now on ebay a lot of DIC prism for the old system (I already bought the 40x prism for my Plan Fluor 40x and the condenser prism), there you can find any DIC prism that you need and the DIC rotatable polarizer. The only problem is the DIC nosepiece, the analyzer and the condenser (there is a company that is asking $900 for the CC Universal condenser with the DIC prism M (for objectives 0.5 - 1 NA) and $650 for the DIC nosepiece).

I am using the system condenser turret that is used on the inverted Eclipse serie (E200/E300, TE2000 and Ti) mounted on a E400, the mounting dovetail is the same as the upright Eclipse serie, on this turret condenser I can mount the old or the new DIC condenser prism.

One good point of the E400: to use flash I only put it behind the halogen lamp and the illumination is ok, the 30W halogen lamp (at the lower setting) is enought to use my 100x oil with 20% to the binocular and 80% to the photo port (I only use the halogen lamp to watch the specimen for the right moment to shoot the camera, the picture illumination is from the flash).

Rogelio
Last edited by RogelioMoreno on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Litonotus,

I forgot to mention that with the Microphot you will need a nosepiece DIC prism and it is very rare on ebay.

Rogelio

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

Hi there,

Thank you very much. good news is the 80i system prisms fit the E600 nosepiece/condenser, but what about the 80i system condenser or the nosepiece itself - is it possible to fix them on a E600 frame? is the mounting dovetail the same?

Nikon dealer in Poland said no for all system mixes, but I have heard many nos from companies and other official dealers that in fact were yeses, and people who does hybrid and working systems are the best proof of that.

is there any possibility to get the nikon accesories price list? it would be great to have it and be able to compare with companies' prices or ebay dealers. I tried to find it but failed. every dealer says 'it is very expensive' (everybody knows that) and nothing more.

thanks once again for your help (:

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Litonotus wrote:Hi there,

Thank you very much. good news is the 80i system prisms fit the E600 nosepiece/condenser, but what about the 80i system condenser or the nosepiece itself - is it possible to fix them on a E600 frame? is the mounting dovetail the same?
The 80i objective prisms fit the E600 DIC nosepiece; but I am not sure the 80i universal condenser prisms fit the E600 universal condenser (C-CU condenser). I am sure the Ti prisms condenser fit the TE2000 turret condenser (this is the condenser that I have, I bought it with the LWD lens then I got the oil lens (this lens is for the Optipoht 2 universal condenser; but it fit the TE2000 system turret) and dry lens (actually Nikon is selling the dry and water immersion lens on ebay).

I have learned that you can not mix the prism, you have to use the condenser prism with the same objective prism family.

All the Nikon condenser that I have seen has the same mounting dovetail and checking the 80i/90i brochure the condenser listed are the same that can be mounted on Optiphot, Labophot, Microphot, E400, E600, E800, E1000, etc. BTW, I think that Olympus BH2, BX, BX2 has the same mounting dovetail as Nikon.

About the price list: let me know your email to send you the Nikon price list (updated 2010).

To give you an idea about price: the list price of the TE2000 condenser prism NM for dry lens is $1546.00, right now on ebay it is $175 with free shipping (amazing price).

Rogelio

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

Thank you, I think I know all I need. unfortunately the user 'nikonmicroscope11' does not ship outside US, and there is no possibility to contact him to negociate that (the 'contact seller' option doesn't work or is blocked by the seller). his prices are incredibly low, but I'm afraid I may only look at them ):

I have noticed two kinds of condenser modules: ring- and triangle-shaped ones. what's the difference between CC and CC-U condensers/modules?

I think I found a way to get units 'shipped to US only'

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Hello Rogelio,

I just want to say thank you for the wealth of information you have shared!

Regards,
David

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Litonotus wrote: I have noticed two kinds of condenser modules: ring- and triangle-shaped ones. what's the difference between CC and CC-U condensers/modules?
The ring shapes are for the CC universal condenser (C-CU is the same as CC) used on upright: E600, E800 and E1000. The universal condenser on the 80i and 90i is other.

The triangle shaped are for the system condenser turret used on inverted: TE200/TE300, TE2000 and Ti.

Rogelio

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

David, you are welcome.

Litonotus needs help with some items that he would like to buy on ebay, any member living in USA that can help him buying the items and sending them to him?

Rogelio

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

On the following link you can see the C-CU universal condenser so you can have an idea how it looks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Eclipse-E600F ... 35b247e68e

When Nikon says "CC or C-C prism for the universal condenser" they are talking about the condenser on that link.

The following link is where it is being sold for $900 (the price is with the phase contrast modules and darkfield installed, you can ask to replace that modules with the DIC M):

http://www.spachoptics.com/NIKON_C_CU_p/nikon-ccu.htm

The following link is for the DIC nosepiece:

http://www.spachoptics.com/NIKON_C_ND_S ... epiece.htm

Rogelio

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

Thank you very much Rogelio (: that is a great amount of knowledge that you shared wit me and others, and I'm sure that I will not be the only one who finds it useful.

about international buying items shipped to US only - I found a company called priceUSA - anybody has any experience? their offer sounds good and is excatly what I need.

about spach optics - they do not ship internationally - I wrote to them once and received no response.

I don't want to be too hasty, I think completing such stuff requires time and - last but no least - money. Nobody here knows me well so I don't expect anybody to buy on my behalf.

I know what I have to get, I know how much money I need. Maybe I will try to get some DIC modules now, than I have to sell the microphot microscope I own.

PS I have sent you an email

EDIT: first items (priceusa) are on their way.
EDIT2: (26-07-2011) I received first items shipped by price USA. it is a great and professional comapany - great contact, fast shipping. it is definitely not my last order.

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

I'm refreshing my topic to announce that I'm searching the Nikon CC universal condenser, also called nikon CCU universal condenser. It is a very-hard-to-get item, please let me know if you find it (there are many stores I still do not know).

It is listed on spachoptics site but is not available (I tried to buy it and received information that it was sold). It was quite long time ago but they have not updated the site yet.

I'm also searching the Y-DA analyzer (it fits into the nosepiece).

those two items are very rare and hard to find...

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

I've got it!

after over a year of searching, puzzling together piece by piece I have completed the Nikon Eclipse E600 DIC microscope :D

I would like to thank everybody who helped me to get that scope. I would like to thank especially Rogelio Moreno for his great help and sharing his experience and knowledge (:

this microscope is really great: its ergonomic design is outstanding, image quality is breathtaking, the light is so powerful. It is much bigger and heavier than my old one (Motic B3).

many steps still to go (a good camera is the first of them), but the base is completed.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Congratulations Litonotus! I'm sure you will make some impressive images with this outfit.

I have also been assembling components for an E600 DIC system for the last year or so. I'm still looking for the Y-DA analyzer (and a few other odds and ends), if anybody hears of one for sale.

Thanks,
David

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

David,

I sent you a pm.

Rogelio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic