FLASH SYNCH FOR MACRO

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MICROMOG

FLASH SYNCH FOR MACRO

Post by MICROMOG »

I am wanting to use second curtain flash synch with a long exposure, so that vibration from the first cutain dies down before the flash fires. (This is in addition to mirror-up and using the timer) This works OK with the 520 EX II Speedlight, but this option is greyed out when I try to use the Canon MT 24 EX twin macro flash. I get a message that says the flash is incompatible with the second curtain function. Does anyone know a way round this or will I have to buy a second 520 EX II ? Any advice would be much appreciated. Alan.
Dr Alan Morgan

JW

Post by JW »

Weird, works for me using an old Canon 10D body, with a custom function setting for second curtain sync.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Alan,

It will need to be set on the flash unit, not via the camera menu, though it may be possible via a custom function. Which camera are you using?

I don't own a MT-24EX so can't be more specific. Hopefully the following links may be helpful, whilst awaiting additional input from other members.
By default, the flash fires in synchronization with the first shutter curtain when the shutter is fully open. With Second-curtain Sync, the flash fires immediately before the second shutter curtain closes at the end of the exposure.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs ... kGuide.pdf

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

MICROMOG

Post by MICROMOG »

JW wrote:Weird, works for me using an old Canon 10D body, with a custom function setting for second curtain sync.
Problem now sorted. With the MT 24 EX flash you have to set second curtain on the flash unit rather than on the camera.

Many thanks for responding.

Alan Morgan
Dr Alan Morgan

MICROMOG

Post by MICROMOG »

Craig Gerard wrote:Alan,

It will need to be set on the flash unit, not via the camera menu, though it may be possible via a custom function. Which camera are you using?

I don't own a MT-24EX so can't be more specific. Hopefully the following links may be helpful, whilst awaiting additional input from other members.
By default, the flash fires in synchronization with the first shutter curtain when the shutter is fully open. With Second-curtain Sync, the flash fires immediately before the second shutter curtain closes at the end of the exposure.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs ... kGuide.pdf

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html

Hi, I am not yet used to this forum business and I think my previous attempt to reply to you may have failed, so trying again. Thanks very much indeed for the link to the Canon training pdf doc - this told me exactly what I wanted to know and I have now done my first stack ! I will attempt to upload it. I took 100 shots at 1 thou intervals and used Helicon Focus. Lots to optimise !! Thnaks agin for you very helpful reply. Cheers, Alan Morgan.Image

Craig
Dr Alan Morgan

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

MICROMOG wrote:
JW wrote:Weird, works for me using an old Canon 10D body, with a custom function setting for second curtain sync.
Problem now sorted. With the MT 24 EX flash you have to set second curtain on the flash unit rather than on the camera.

Many thanks for responding.

Alan Morgan
Seems a strange control logic - you would think the camera would just send a sync signal to the flash telling it when to fire. This way it implies the camera always sends a first and a second curtain sync signal and the flash decides which one to pick.
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic