Hi from Australia

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Simon W

Hi from Australia

Post by Simon W »

Hi, just found your site yesterday, while researching microscopy. I'm a total nOOb/amateur, so please forgive any of my silly questions!

I have no scientific background whatsoever, but am enthralled by the beautiful images you guys & gals can achieve, and I fear I may be catching the microscopy 'bug' (I'm a 'sucker' for bad puns, oh dear, better stop..).

I came across the ever-helpful Mitch when watching his many great Youtube videos, he's already guided me part of my way towards selecting a microscope (seriously, I've not used one since high school, over 20yrs ago!).

Charles Krebs' site is wonderful, such an amazing contribution to the art, I'm trawling through that like mad! And his pictures! Something to aim for, eh!

So this will be an exciting journey I hope, you're seeing me start from the very bottom of the pond slime...

So, sit back and laugh, when you see my first attempts at really bad photomicrograpy, with a $99 Vero 400x microscope! Well, try not to laugh, these are my first steps, plus this cheapie has opened my eyes to what is remotely possible, and that hidden, secretive world that us common folk take for granted. I'm staggered at what I can see at 400 times through this plastic, smeary, over-exposed contraption.
Here's a link to my Picasa album:

Luckily I have a Canon EOS 40D, so I look forward to using its Electronic First Plane Shutter feature, thanks Charles!

I'm leaning towards getting a new Amscope T490A but with the 'lot' including phase contrast, then upgrading the objectives as the bug really bites me. Responses welcome here, or I'll start up another thread in the Micro area.

I'm already looking at the world differently, and once I get into it, will be happy to take suggestions for subjects (I know Australia is sooo lucky, we have ample creepy crawlies, and that's just in my cupboard).

My Picasa album includes a high magnification of an iphone screen, I was very surprised to see its construction & connections. I'd love to see a 'better quality' version from one of you! Gotta be better than this:

Simon
Simon W
EOS 5D Mk 3; Olympus BH-2; Zerene Stacker
Melbourne, Australia

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Simon, welcome aboard! :D You've come to one of the best places around to get hooked on photographing small stuff.

About the microscope, I suggest starting up a new thread over in Equipment. The Amscope T490 is certainly one option at its price point, but depending on your skills and inclinations, you might consider buying used, either through eBay or a microscope dealer. There are also other considerations depending on what you want to take photos of, e.g., the discussion HERE. You can also Search the forum archives for the word "Amscope" and turn up quite a few discussions

Regarding the iphone screen, I don't have one of those. But the construction looks pretty similar to the Sony Erickson, HERE, second image.

--Rik

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

Thanks Rik. Yes, will do. And yes, your pics of the screen are so much clearer, you can see the individual connectors. I wonder what an iphone 4 looks like, since it is of 'retina' quality 360ppi.
Simon W
EOS 5D Mk 3; Olympus BH-2; Zerene Stacker
Melbourne, Australia

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic