www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Mixed ciliates
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mixed ciliates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Mixed ciliates Reply with quote

Ken's recent posting prompted me to put this together.

10X NA 0.25 objective, 10X eyepiece, Canon SD700 IS reporting 1/640 sec.

This is from that drainage ditch sample that produced the waterlice.

Offhand I think I see a bunch of colpidia, some paramecia, and a couple of different kinds of hypotrichs. One of the hypotrichs was gracious enough to show us a profile view, just to the right of center in the bottom panel. (This was a fairly thick drop, no cover slip at all, so the critters had a lot of room to turn over.)

All told, quite nice variety for a little chunk of muck!

--Rik
Thomas Ashcraft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mixed ciliates Reply with quote

RIK WROTE: "All told, quite nice variety for a little chunk of muck!"

Life is persistent. Microbes give me hope that life will go on and on and on.

Tom
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep looks as though you have a bumper crop of Colpidium too there Rik. Unlike my recent gathering, I have nothing but Copidium as far as ciliates go and a very large gathering of Arcella, thousands of them! Nice shots Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
Kite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

life will go on, vive la water bears!

yeah, they say that if the world went nuclear and america launched all its nukes (america can destroy the world 3 times over with its nuclear arms, and GW still persists on making more Rolling Eyes ) that only cockroaches would survive. well we microscopists know that microbes would survive too, and eventually mother earth would get new children, that in turn would rape her over and kill her again and again...

sorry, I just hate what humans have done to the planet.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of cockroaches, did you know that cockroaches have already breached the boundries of earth and ventured into space? Exclamation

Yep, they sure have. On one of the Apollo missions, I forget which one, but there was a cockroach stowed away on the spacecraft. Just a tiddbit of unusual information that I heard on the radio while going to work one morning. Wink
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful Rik... that's two microscope picture posts in about 5 days. If it gets it's hooks in you those Olympus macro lenses might get dusty! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: