Nikkor-T 10.5cm f/4 . F mount.

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Nikkor-T 10.5cm f/4 . F mount.

Post by ChrisR »

Like this :
Probably hopeless for macro! I bought this thing because it looked cute, really. I think it's worth more than I paid for it - I wonder if there are any forum members who might be able to guide as to its value? This isn't really what the forum's for, so perhaps PMs would be best.

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Chris, this is very much a lens whose value depends on rarity and historical perspective, not on its actual photographic qualities. It comes from an interesting time when the then-new Nikon "F" SLR (introduced 1959) was taking over in importance from the Nikon S rangefinder camera, and some optics were retrofitted to the newer system.

More on that lens.
It also dates from the time the company was calling itself Nippon Kogaku (= 'Japanese Optical'), before it re-branded itself after its more well-known product, the Nikon camera (that name itself chosen to reflect the then-popular Zeiss Ikon camera.... but I digress).

I suggest asking at the forum of the Nikon Historical Society for further information.

In terms of photographic qualities, well, its a single-coated 3 elements in 3 groups lens which (as the article you pointed to mentions) was intended to be a lower-priced alternative to the Nikkor-P (later, Nikkor-P.C) 105mm f/2.5 which is itself more of a portrait lens than a macro.

Despite some inflation in recent years, the 105/2.5 is readily available at modest price (I have both the single-coated Nikkor-P and the multicoated Nikkor-P.C) and those lenses cost me around 50 euro each,a couple of years ago.

And yes, it looks cute.

Incidentally, if the lens serial number is outside the range of known serials listed here then it would be good to tell the maintainer of that site, Roland Vink, about it. (contact details).

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Yes, this one's from 1960 it seems.
There were far fewer made than the f/2.5. There are several on Ebay, with asking prices around $500 to $1000, depending on coefficient of "minty"-ness :roll:
Unless it happens to not vignette with a Mitutoyo on the front. it's not much use to me. I might try a portrait of the cat.

Thanks for the links, the one I hadn't see was the NHS !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic