Ye...owww! Sump'ns Crawling On Me!

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Ye...owww! Sump'ns Crawling On Me!

Post by Ken Ramos »

...and there was. :shock: Here in the mountains when something goes to squirmming and biting around on you, you had better take a look...like right that instant, unless its your girlfriend of course :wink: . :lol:

I had just came back into the plant after my luchtime walk through the field and forest, just out back. Nothing unusual happening but then I felt it! :shock: Something on my neck? Could it be one of those "Brain Eaters" from that old sixties sci-fi horror movie having been resurrected and having caught me unawares? I was waiting for those sharp teeth to penetrate the back of my skull, feeling my brain being plucked out...like someone "pitting and olive!" :shock: (about the size of it too :lol: )

However t'was only a small inch worm, begging to be taken home to be photographed using the Meiji and now having tamed and domesticated the savage beast, its time for Jeprody! I'll take "Silly and Stupid" for $400 Alex. :D

I've really got to quit eating those shredded beef tacos with the sour cream and onion along with the hot green chiles. :roll:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice work, Ken! I can see the sharp little hooks on those tiny prolegs. :D

Whatever did it do with the balled up bunch of silk?

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Rik asked:
Whatever did it do with the balled up bunch of silk?
Not much of anything Rik. It still has it balled up on and around the spinners, several strands are scattered here and there but that is about it. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Interesting photos Ken.

I am pretty sure that inchworms are indigenous to N. America - anyway I've certainly never come across one in the UK. I was trying to make out detail of the head - are those shiny black dots eyes/light receptors or just markings?

When I was a teenager I built a 42" wingspan, balsawood glider from a kit called "Inchworm" and until seeing your pics had no idea where the word came from. I was inquisitive about "other things" at that age and was quite happy to accept inchworm as a made-up word.

Bruce

ps - watched Labyrinth last night - I enjoyed it but was shocked at just how "80's" it was.
Last edited by Bruce Williams on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I believe thos are just light receptors Bruce, something like ocelli probably. Yeah Labyrnith, is 80's but still good! :D

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Great job Ken! :smt023
It looks very bloodthirsty that close. :shock:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Kite

Post by Kite »

AHHHHHH!

very nice photos... but still AHHHH

are you able to aproximate on the width of the silk strands? im interested :D

next time I get bitten im gonna shove the girlfriend under the microscope :D
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Kite wrote:AHHHHHH!

next time I get bitten im gonna shove the girlfriend under the microscope :D
I just hope your girlfriend looks more favourably. :wink: :lol:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Kite

Post by Kite »

lets just say that the inchworm isnt in the same leauge and leave it at that :D

she would kill me for typing that :D nah, she is pretty good looking, and likes to hear it too :P

tried to get her to understand how brilliant tardigrades were by showing her one, and she pulled a face resembling that of the water piglet currently under the microscope :D
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yeah girls are like that, it's hard to find something to impress them with. :roll:

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Great creature Ken...looks very preditory to me. looks like one of those inchworms I saw on TV from Hawaii that look like a twig and than swing around a capture their pray :shock: (more gross than a spider I think)
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks for the comments guys :D , as for the size of those strands of silk I wouldn't have a clue :( Most of the inch worms I find around here do standout like a twig, though I have never seen one capture anything and they are pretty small, about 15 mm, maybe 20 mm at the most. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic