Transparency problems in zerene

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DrLazer

Transparency problems in zerene

Post by DrLazer »

I'm having a real problem getting a stack together at the moment. Basically I have a stack of a bee, but the fur from behind its eyes has bled through at the edges.
I tried to run a DMAP stack but I am getting results with lots of artifacts and the area in question looks even worse on DMAP.
I tried retouching from one image but the lines I draw are really obvious and I don't seem able to fix the problem very well.
I tried to photoshop the problem away but no luck there either, it's on the compound eye so its quite a complicated area, again any edits look really obvious.

What I want to do, is run a stack from frames 40 -> 60 only, if I do that the edges of the eyes look great. Is there some way in Zerene that I can stack the whole image, then stack just a few selected images and retouch from one to the other. If I try removing some source files and then do a restack with what is remaining ... the alignment gets adjusted and the two stacks dont line up.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Yes you can do that. Run the whole stack as normal, when complete, select the range you want to sub-stack by clicking one end and shift-clicking the other end, then do 'stack selected' from the same menu as stack all... Then as you say re-select the whole stack, start retouching, select other stack as input image and retouch away... I do this all the time, it works really nicely.

DrLazer

Post by DrLazer »

Cheeres Laurie. I sort of managed to do it anyway by running a full stack, then starting a new project and just stacking 20 frames, then starting another new project and just running a 2 frame stack from the output images and then retouching from there. Wish I saw your post earlier ;)

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Thanks for asking the questions for which I need the answers! :)

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

seta666

Post by seta666 »

In Zerene you can do either full stacks (stack all) and in the same menu you have stack selected, which does just that, stack whatever images you choose
Then you can use the retouch tool and clone problematic areas, I use this all the time
Regards

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

From Zerene Stacker's "How To Use It" page...
Stacking Selected Frames

Sometimes the easiest way to deal with a troublesome area is to stack just the input files with that area in focus, then use the retouching tool to merge that output image with an output image for the full stack.

To stack a subset of the input files, simply select (highlight) the files to be included, then Stack > Stack Selected (PMax or DMap). To add files to the selection set, use shift-click (select a range of files), control-click (add one file), and shift-control-click (add a range of files).
I'm in the process of updating the documentation. I'll add a mention that this technique is particularly useful for dealing with the "transparent foreground" artifact.

Thanks for the discussion.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic