Labradorite, via Nikon 10x + Mamiya 210mm

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

phreakocious

Labradorite, via Nikon 10x + Mamiya 210mm

Post by phreakocious »

I'm pretty impressed with this medium format as a tube lens. I don't notice any vignetting until stopped down to f/11.

Nikon CFI Plan 10x microscope objective
52mm->M25 step-down ring
58mm->52mm step-down ring
Mamiya 645 210mm f/4 (as tube lens)
Nikon F->M645 lens adapter
D7000

Full image:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/556 ... 296b_o.jpg

Last edited by phreakocious on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phreakocious

Post by phreakocious »

Not the best "rig" ...

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

very nice labradorite images, in special the colors of the fist one!
At first look it didn't seem shot with a microscope objective, in fact it looks very similar to a had sample I had sometime ago.
Pau

JW

Post by JW »

phreakocious

Would not have thought labradorite would be so interesting...

To think I sold all my 645 stuff years ago, could have used the 200mm for a tube lens rather than my 75/300 zoom. Maybe I will look for a used one...

Jeff
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

phreakocious

Post by phreakocious »

JW/Pau,

Thanks for the feedback! It seems the trick to catching the 'labradorescence' comes down to the structural properties of the specimen, and its angles to the light source(s) and camera. This particular piece can produce some even more eye-popping colors, but getting all of those variables right is no easy trick.

I was hoping that extreme macro like this would help overcome some of that, and it's somewhat true. Just need some of those goniometers like Chris S. has! =)

I'm very interested in opinions on how well the Mamiya lens is performing in this configuration. If anyone has suggestions on things I can shoot that are good for evaluating that, aside from calibration slides that cost $100s, do tell.

Cheers!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

phreakocious wrote:If anyone has suggestions on things I can shoot that are good for evaluating that, aside from calibration slides that cost $100s, do tell.
My favorite is moth wings. See for example HERE.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic