Eye of a 400 million year old trilobite - Phacops speculator

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Eye of a 400 million year old trilobite - Phacops speculator

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

I’ve owned this fossil trilobite, Phacops speculator for years and although I’d previously looked at it with a 10X watchmaker’s loupe, I was very surprised at the level of detail that was revealed through the Meiji microscope.

This specimen was found in Morocco and is 45mm long with the eye measuring approximately 6mm in diameter.

Phacops lived in the middle Devonian period approximately 400 million years ago. The genus is noted for their unusual (schizochroal) compound eyes with their widely spaced, bulbous facets. The whole eye was mounted on a short stalk which enabled it to swivel rather like the eyes of a chameleon.

See this website for information on the lens structure of this trilobite’s eyes: http://www.trilobites.info/eyes.htm (the website also contains some amazing photos of a recently discovered trilobite with truly incredible eyes).

The first pic was obviously not taken through the microscope but has been included to provide context and scale for the other photo (stack of 11 images).

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Williams on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

That is pretty cool. I guess each one of those bumps was a lens, making up a compound eye?
Bill

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks for your comments Bill - yes each "bump" is a completely separate facet within the compound eye. Each lens having a separate cornea - that is they are not joined beneath the sclera.

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very cool photos Bruce and I love that link on trilobite eyes...very interesting :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Kite

Post by Kite »

wow, lovely photos, and the site you linked to was very informative.

methinks I should read up on more trilobites :D
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Quite an impressive set of photographs here Bruce. Looks as though you and the Meiji are getting along fine. :D

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Yes, aren't they amazing. Especially those corrections for abberation! Unbelievable that they are extinct.

Wim

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

It's not too bad if they envolve. :D
Really, really old grandpa. :lol:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Just imagine what it would be like if that meteor had not wiped out 90% of all living things on the planet, I bet they would still be here. The horseshoe crab made it!!
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Bruce... extremely interesting stuff here! Thanks for posting it... great to see something like this that one was not aware of, and then be able to read about it in detail. It's one of the reasons this place is so enjoyable.

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks for all your supportive comments guys - Bruce

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic