Geode

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Geode

Post by Ken Ramos »

Summer before last, I stopped in to one of those rock shops you often see along the highways of Western North Carolina, especially around Mitchell County and up towards Boone, N.C. Anyway I picked up a small plastic box of rock specimens, nothing of any extraordinary importance, more like a souviner type thing but anyway there inside among the six samples was a small geode, cut in half and the cut polished. Nothing spectacular but thought it made a good pic through the Meiji. :D

This composite shows the surface area of the small geode, the bottom image looks cut away at the right and it is, it is where they cut the geode in half. I kind of like the surface features of it, they look like some sort of alien inscription or maybe something mystical.

This is where they cut the geode in half to show the crystal formation inside, I have seen larger geodes and they had some on display and for sale, "if" you wanted to pay their price for them, which were much more beautiful and colorful. Both images taken using a Sony DSC-W5 attached to and over the photo tube of a Meiji EMZ-13TR w/a 10XWF eyepiece, built-in halogen illumation with blue diffuser.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very Nice Ken..I think they look excellent. I like the textures of the first one also...they look like crop circles (to keep the alien thing going) :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I never thought of that Doug but your right, they do look like crop circles. :D

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

That is interesting! I thought the first picture was of a piece of pottery! Then I read your post. It does look man-made.
Bill

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

I think you got it just about spot-on with the lighting (angle and level) on pic2 and pic3.

They're beautiful, but with a sense of age and silent mystery. A still, cave-like atmosphere ...and what nameless creature waits expectantly inside that hole. I'll just move a little closer to the screen to chec,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know there have been, oftentimes, situations as to where I have picked something up to examine with a hand lens and while peering into a hole or crack, a spider has unexpectedly jumped out! :shock: Now if that does not get ones attention! Also you end up trying to find just where you slung that hand lens...those things are expensive. :lol: Thanks Bruce. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic