Functionality of Legacy Olympus OM MF Lenses with Pen Micro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Harold Gough wrote:I'm glad I bought it. I will get the 9-18mm lens in due course to cover where I use my ultra-wideangle Tamrons.
Just to update this, I bought the Lumix 7-14mm, which I have used only for externals hots of large expanses of a Chateau and of a cathedral in France last month. I have so far viewed the results only in the camera, so I don't know how well it did in my hands but conditions were ideal.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

This is how the OM Zuiko f2.8 38mm auto bellows lens performs at f8 and f4, with 55mm extension on a tripod:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=13919

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

This thread investigates using OM dedicated flash metering and T-series flashguns to permit flash function on digital cameras, including with legacy manual film lenses:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=16626

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

This is from the Elmarit 60mm macro lens I am now using much as I previously did the Tamron 90mm:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 350#106350

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Harold Gough wrote:Well, I just won an EP-2, 14-42mm lens and a Zuiko 70-300mm digital lens on Ebay.
Harold Gough wrote:Neither do I like the 'hair trigger' characteristics
Just over a year later, I am still cursing that release button after using it many thousands of times, so unfamiliarity is not the problem.

Another severe frustration, over the entire year, was the exposure compensation setting button. situated adjacent to the shutter release button, it is almost unavoidable that my index finger touches it each time I press the release. I spent more time resetting that than I did taking pictures. I was unable to identify any options in the menus, or in the manual, for immobilising this.

I still cannot immobilise the button but I have changed it so that it now has to be held down while I turn the main dial on the arrowpad. Perfect! I did this when I found that the exposure compensation was being set but I could no longer reset them via the button and dial. Even setting my "Reset1" user-defined default settings for the camera made no difference. So I opened up the menus and turned off everthing I knew I didn't want/need and a few that I had no idea about. I have absolutely no idea which action got this result but I am very relieved it happened.

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Here I accidentally left ISO at 1000 after a previous shoot. The image has been processed through Topaz Focus, Detail 2 and Denoise. Leitz Elmarit 60mm macro f8.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 989#107989

Harold

DQE

Post by DQE »

Harold Gough wrote:
Harold Gough wrote:Well, I just won an EP-2, 14-42mm lens and a Zuiko 70-300mm digital lens on Ebay.
Harold Gough wrote:Neither do I like the 'hair trigger' characteristics
Just over a year later, I am still cursing that release button after using it many thousands of times, so unfamiliarity is not the problem.

Another severe frustration, over the entire year, was the exposure compensation setting button. situated adjacent to the shutter release button, it is almost unavoidable that my index finger touches it each time I press the release. I spent more time resetting that than I did taking pictures. I was unable to identify any options in the menus, or in the manual, for immobilising this.

I still cannot immobilise the button but I have changed it so that it now has to be held down while I turn the main dial on the arrowpad. Perfect! I did this when I found that the exposure compensation was being set but I could no longer reset them via the button and dial. Even setting my "Reset1" user-defined default settings for the camera made no difference. So I opened up the menus and turned off everthing I knew I didn't want/need and a few that I had no idea about. I have absolutely no idea which action got this result but I am very relieved it happened.

Harold
Not at all sure my suggestion will help, but just in case, here goes:

I've had good luck with several very different gadgets by taping a Coke bottle top shaped "shield" onto the button that I don't wish to accidentally push. In the case of a camera button, this shield might be 4-6 mm in diameter. If you curl up the end of the strip of tape back onto itself, you can easily pull off the shield and the piece of tape each time you need to access the button. Obviously, this approach won't be practical if you need to access the offending button frequently.

I recently used this technique to shield the on/off button of two PCs and a room humidifier appliance - our pet cats were walking on these boxes and intentionally or not they were turning the boxes on or off randomly. Once we figure out that the cats were the guilty parties, we found that this taped-down bottle cap button shield stopped the problem while maintaining quick access to the button for legitimate purposes.

Hope this stimulates an idea that might help. More than a simple piece of tape is needed since you need to stop the button from being pushed by accidental pressure.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Thanks, Phil.

I have been considering the principle for many months. Great minds think alike! I do check recently-shot images frequently an do a lot of deletion every few frames or so. (That raises another issue. The VF-2 diopter ring turns when the extra-large eyecup is turned slightly as I rotate from landscape to portrait and back when composing. I must have deleted some images which looked out of fopcus during review but were sharp. When I find a safe way to glue it...).

Matters got really difficult yesterday, when I found ISO climbing rapidly at intervals throughout the day and I did not set that button allocation. I am quite sure that the designer was lefthanded. None of that belongs on the lower right side of the back, the natural home of the thumb. The bottle top suggestion is a good one. I must research beer crown caps, real ale ones being superior, I understand. :wink:

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Here a Leitz Photar 50mm lens is used with the OM Telescopic extension tube and an OM slide copier to copy a Kodachrome transparency from 1982:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 183#108183

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic