Playing with a mediterranean fruit fly

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

eurythyrea

Playing with a mediterranean fruit fly

Post by eurythyrea »

Yes, the title is similar to my last post but the subject is different a bit. I hope you will like it as well. Now I did a few stacks of a male medfly Ceratitis capitata which is a real pest of fruits in several points of the globe.
It has been exported from the Mediterranean area with citruses to e.g. South and North America, Australia and Europe. Its larva developes in intact fruits, in one infected fruit you can find more specimens. Adults can disperse only in warm climated areas, but larvae can reach anywhere in the world with transported fruits.
This fellow has been hatched from a tangerine. Kept it alive for a few days, feed it with sugary water. After its death I shortly made these stacks. Each one was taken with the Nikon BD Plan 10/0.25 finite objective at different magnifications and different point of views.

Frontal view at 10x magnification:
Canon EOS 5D + Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows (200mm) + Nikon BD Plan 10/0.25 + Canon Speedlite 580EXII; 182 shots; Zerene (PMax)
Click for larger!

Frontolateral at 8,7x magnification:
Canon EOS 5D + Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows (175mm) + Nikon BD Plan 10/0.25 + Canon Speedlite 580EXII; 182 shots; Zerene (PMax)
Click for larger!

Dorsal at 7,5x magnification:
Canon EOS 5D + Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows (150mm) + Nikon BD Plan 10/0.25 + Canon Speedlite 580EXII; 103 shots; Zerene (PMax)
Click for larger!

Cross-eye stereogram:
Shifting: -3% +3%
Click for 1600x1200px!

Animated rocking:
9 images, shifting: -3% +3%

Cheers, Nikola

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wonderful images! Beautifully done!

Martin G.

Post by Martin G. »

extremely nice shots

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Superb work; just gorgeous images!

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Lovely subject, very nicely shot! Again thanks for the rocker! :)

One small glitch on the rocker, there are a couple of white hairs on the left which appear to go over a black hair which they shouldn't... I was staring at it in awe for a while before I noticed that though!

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Nikola,

These are outstanding!

I see the anomaly Laurie mentioned......s'truth Laurie you must have been looking closely to notice that :shock: The stereogram also reveals similar results when looking at that particular area.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

These are such beautiful images! And yep, that's a classic "transparent foreground" glitch.

This conversation strikes me as a tribute to how far we've come.

I just had a vision of standing in the art gallery, admiring a beautiful cut crystal vase with elegant gold detailing, and saying in all seriousness, "Hey, look, there's a bubble!" :lol:

--Rik

eurythyrea

Post by eurythyrea »

Thank you for the admiring comments my friends!
lauriek wrote: One small glitch on the rocker, there are a couple of white hairs on the left which appear to go over a black hair which they shouldn't... I was staring at it in awe for a while before I noticed that though!
rjlittlefield wrote: I just had a vision of standing in the art gallery, admiring a beautiful cut crystal vase with elegant gold detailing, and saying in all seriousness, "Hey, look, there's a bubble!" Laughing
Hair glitch on the rocker corrected a.k.a. bubble removed :wink:

Craig Gerard wrote: I see the anomaly Laurie mentioned......s'truth Laurie you must have been looking closely to notice that Shocked The stereogram also reveals similar results when looking at that particular area.
Craig, click on the pic and cross your eyes! :lol:

I'm sorry, it was a small inattention, I'll try to be more attentive while retouching.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Well I didn't notice the hair the wrong colour! :) Beautifully done, again. The rear view is especially interesting to see.
Do you have a special cleaning technique?

eurythyrea

Post by eurythyrea »

ChrisR wrote: Do you have a special cleaning technique?
No, I just was lucky with this specimen, as I wrote it was hatched in studio circumstances and did not contact with the outside world. A few small white dust has been removed with retouching in PS.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Superb! :)

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

LordV

Post by LordV »

Excellent series of stacks !
Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

jorgemotalmeida

Post by jorgemotalmeida »

As I told before these are great stackings!
these must be the best 3-d stacking photos of Ceratitis capitata ever!

TO have an idea of the general body I put here a photo I took in 2007 (single shot with Sigma 105 mm lens + kenko extension tubes + speedlite 430 ex + diffuser). It seems I must do a remake photography session of this fly.

(there is another photo - in the thread of "collembolan 3 mm" - of this C. capitata).
Jorge Almeida
Viseu - PORTUGAL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/superegnum

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Nikola,

This is another wonderful set of images - definitely eye candy! :)

Regards,
David

eurythyrea

Post by eurythyrea »

Thanks again guys!

Jorge, thank you for the additional picture, I shot it as well live, but only the female. And I saw the another in your topic too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic