FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera?

Here are summaries and links to discussions for Frequently Asked Questions.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Craig Gerard

Re: magnification

Post by Craig Gerard »

Amro wrote:what do you mean by x10? 10:1 on sensor or linear eye magnification?
10X on sensor if requirements of the objective have been applied (tube length for 'finite' objectives or focal length of tube lens assembly for infinity-corrected objectives).

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Amro

Post by Amro »

10X on sensor if requirements of the objective have been applied (tube length for 'finite' objectives or focal length of tube lens assembly for infinity-corrected objectives).

Craig
on Full frame sensor??
do you know what is the relation of magnification on sensor and eye linear magnification?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Amro wrote:on Full frame sensor??
Sensor size does not change the magnification. "10X on sensor" always means that the image on sensor is 10 times larger than the real subject.

Instead, at any fixed magnification the sensor size determines the field size -- the size of subject that will fill the sensor. A full frame sensor is 36 x 24 mm, so 10X on a full frame sensor means the field size on subject will be 3.6 x 2.4 mm. An APS-C sensor is about 22 x 15 mm, so 10X on an APS-C sensor means the field size would be about 2.2 x 1.5 mm. (10*3.6 = 36, and so on.)
do you know what is the relation of magnification on sensor and eye linear magnification?
In a microscope, the eye linear magnification is calculated as objective magnification multiplied by eyepiece magnification.

The typical eyepiece magnification is 10X with roughly 20 mm diameter field, so imaging with a 10X objective on APS-C gives you about the same image that you would see by eye at 100X.

--Rik

ckatosmith

Post by ckatosmith »

rjlittlefield wrote:
More complete designations for the two lenses I mentioned in previous post are:

1. Nikon CFI Plan Achromat 10x NA 0.25 WD 10.5mm (part number MRL00102).

2. Nikon CFI BE Plan Achromat 10X NA 0.25 WD 6.7 (part number MRN70100).

--Rik
The 10x that came with my Nikon Eclipse E200 microscope is black with a yellow band. According to Nikon's website, it is CFI E Plan Achromat 10X/0.25 with WD 7.0. It has a 25mm thread and is MRP70100, also OFN20 (what's that?). Has THIS objective been tested here on the forum? I tried the search function...

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ckatosmith wrote:According to Nikon's website, it is CFI E Plan Achromat 10X/0.25 with WD 7.0. It has a 25mm thread and is MRP70100, also OFN20 (what's that?). Has THIS objective been tested here on the forum? I tried the search function...
I cannot recall ever seeing a test report for that objective. I can find a few references at photomacrography.net using Google search, but none of them are accompanied by images or comparisons to other objectives.

Based on its placement within the Nikon line, I would expect it to behave optically very similar to the CFI BE MRN70100.

OFN20 refers to the "field number", which is just the diameter in mm of the eyepiece field for which the objective is designed.

However, modern Nikon objectives typically deliver good image quality over a much larger circle than they are specified for.

Based on the MRL70100, I would expect the MRP70100 to cover APS/C with no problem at all (28 mm diagonal). Iit might well cover full frame with pretty good corners also (43 mm diagonal).

The MRP70100 is part of Nikon's CFI60 series [REF]. This means that it has 25mm threads and a "parfocal" distance of 60 mm from the shoulder of the mounting threads to the in-focus subject.

--Rik

Tecumseh

is this the same one

Post by Tecumseh »

Is this the same one as in page 1.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261584040052?_t ... :MEBIDX:IT

Thank you very much. Merry Christmas guys.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yes, and this is a fair price for this type of objective purchased new.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

A discussion of "Raynox DCR-150 tube assembly with flocking" can be read at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=35350 .

Here is a summary of what's discussed there:
By the numbers, these parts are:

1. macro extension tube set with bayonet mount to fit camera
2. bayonet-to-M42 (42mm x 1.0mm thread) lens mount adapter
3. M42 extension tubes (two sets)
4. M42 to 52mm adapter ring
5. 52mm-52mm male-male reverse adapter ring
6. 49mm to 52mm "step up" ring (49mm male, 52mm female, used in reverse to fit the 49mm female threads on the normal front of the Raynox)
7. Raynox DCR-150 lens, reversed
8. 52mm to 43mm "step down" ring (52mm male, 43mm female, used in reverse to fit the 43mm male threads on the normal rear of the Raynox)
9. 55mm to 52mm "step down" ring with through threads, used here as a 52mm-52mm female-female reverse adapter
10. (optional) 52mm to M42 adapter ring (52mm male, M42 female)
11. (optional) M42 to 52mm adapter ring (M42 male, 52mm female)
12. 52mm to objective thread adapter (52mm male, objective thread female)
--Rik

Edit: Oct 15, 2019, to embed image of the tube assembly.
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibicuk

Post by tibicuk »

Dear experts!
Can this pairing work?

Admin edit: I've added img tags to make visible the pictures

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi tibicuk, welcome aboard!

I don't think that the EF-S 18-135 lens would make a good tube lens.
The adapter is for RMS objectives while the Nikon CFI pictured has a wider thread mount: M25X0.75

Do you already own it the Canon lens? If not, don't buy it.
I have one at hand, could test it for you upon your request.
Pau

kiennosuke

Adapters for Mitutoyo BD PLAN APO 10x/ NA 0.28 WD 34mm

Post by kiennosuke »

Hello guys and please help. I recently bought a Mitutoyo bd plan apo 10x. It's my first time in microscopy and i have no idea how to mount it. I Have:

1. Canon 70d
2. Sigma 100-400mm contemporary for tube lens - would it work
3. Canon 24-105 L v2 as another possible tube lens

I would like to mount it on the sigma to see if it works. What exactly are the adapters required- that's where I'm stuck. Many thanks for your help!

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Take a look at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11710
The Mitutoyo BC thread is 40mm x 36TPI
You need and adapter with female 40mm x 36TPI and a male thread matching your lens filter thread, if not available you can do it in two steps like Mitu BD to 52mm and 52mm to your lens thread
rafcamera.com makes this kind of adapters, like https://www.rafcamera.com/adapter-m77x0-75m-to-m40x0-7f
Likely some chinese ebay sellers also sell them

Your zooms don't seem the most adequate tube lenses..but maybe
Pau

kiennosuke

Post by kiennosuke »

Pau wrote:Take a look at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11710
The Mitutoyo BC thread is 40mm x 36TPI
You need and adapter with female 40mm x 36TPI and a male thread matching your lens filter thread, if not available you can do it in two steps like Mitu BD to 52mm and 52mm to your lens thread
rafcamera.com makes this kind of adapters, like https://www.rafcamera.com/adapter-m77x0-75m-to-m40x0-7f
Likely some chinese ebay sellers also sell them

Your zooms don't seem the most adequate tube lenses..but maybe

Thanks a lot Pau for replying, meantime I read the same thread and figured it out about adapters. As for the tube lens, what lens should I use? A prime 200mm? If I use a zoom lens (i'd like this for varying the magnification) would the image IQ decrease? I run into this: https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cf ... ber=ITL200 but I don't quite afford spending another 500$.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

People are getting excellent results with old manual 200 and 135mm prime lenses.
Another good approach is the use of good quality diopters like Raynox or the Sigma Life Size Adapter on bellows ot tubes
There is a ton of threads at the forum on this subject

My Canon 70-200 f4L IS USM works well between 200 and 140mm on 7D although I've not performed true tests against other tube lenses. At lower magnifications it vignettes and this is the problem with many zooms: they often only work at their longer FL
Pau

kiennosuke

Post by kiennosuke »

Pau wrote:People are getting excellent results with old manual 200 and 135mm prime lenses.
Another good approach is the use of good quality diopters like Raynox or the Sigma Life Size Adapter on bellows ot tubes
There is a ton of threads at the forum on this subject

My Canon 70-200 f4L IS USM works well between 200 and 140mm on 7D although I've not performed true tests against other tube lenses. At lower magnifications it vignettes and this is the problem with many zooms: they often only work at their longer FL
Thanks again for the prompt and helpful reply. I have an old Zeiss Sonnar 135mm m42 lens, I'll begin to experiment and reading the forum

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic