Verdigris on 4th century Roman bronze coin

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Verdigris on 4th century Roman bronze coin

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

Still struggling with my new Meiji stereo - although I think in time we're going to become quite good friends.

Anyway, this is my second "training" project. It's a Roman bronze coin from the late 3rd to mid 4th century (somewhere between 285 and 361 AD) ie Constantine I (The Great) or one of his sons, Constantine II, Constantius II or Constans.

The coin is an AE3 and measures 18mm (7/10ths of an inch) at its widest point

An occasional hobby of mine is metal detecting and this is a coin I found about 2 years ago on recently ploughed land on the outskirts of our village. Unfortunately it was in fairly poor condition as can be seen from the photos. However, regardless of condition I always get a real buzz when I first hold a coin that I know was last held in the hand over 16 centuries ago.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Williams on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A very interesting piece of history there Bruce :D . If I recall you folks were such a rowdy bunch back then, that the Romans had an extremely hard time keeping things under control. Probably why they just gave up and went home if my memory serves me well enough. :lol: I have read only little about the Roman Empires conquests to the north but I was amazed to find out that they had actually extended there empires border that far. :roll:

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Yes it's an interesting period of our history Ken.

The Romans occupied Britain (well a large part of England anyway) for over 350 years - from 43 AD to 410 AD - by which time most folks here probably thought of themselves as Roman citizens. We certainly didn't want them to leave when they did with all those blood-thirsty Angles, Saxons and Jutes just waiting for the Roman army to withdraw and leave Britain unprotected.

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well it seems that Rome occupied your homeland for a lot longer than I thought, very interesting. I need to get back to reading more on history, especially that of the military. Yes indeed we do learn something new on here everyday from one another, so it seems. If not scientific fact, we learn about photographic technique and if not that, well then the history of our fellow members homelands. Makes one wonder what the folks next door are doing, probably watching American Idol or some foolishness. :? :lol:

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

That is a neat little piece of history. Good photos of it. The real treasure, was finding it yourself. You have gotten a closer look at it than anybody ever before!
Bill

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Wonderful pictures Bruce. I would love to find something like that :wink: The closeups of the petina are really neat IMO
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks for your encouraging comments guys - Bruce

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Very nice Bruce. :D
Here, we are stumbling over Roman's bricks. :lol:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

That is quite an amount of ancient ear wax. :)

Very fine details! have you already tried to stitch several images together? Than you can make very detailed images of the whole coin.

Wim

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks Nikola - I spent a hugely enjoyable couple of weeks in Croatia (based in Porec) in June 2002 and was very impressed by the Roman amphitheatre in Pula - in many ways comparable to Vespasian's Collosseum in Rome.

Wim said:
have you already tried to stitch several images together? Than you can make very detailed images of the whole coin.
Interesting question Wim.

I have done quite a lot of (rotating) 360 degree stitching of views etc, however before your question, I'd never given a thought to the possibility of stitching images taken with the Meiji. I guess you have to move the subject as you can't move the microscope ...and do you stack first and then stitch?

Bruce

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Bruce Williams wrote:Thanks Nikola - I spent a hugely enjoyable couple of weeks in Croatia (based in Porec) in June 2002 and was very impressed by the Roman amphitheatre in Pula - in many ways comparable to Vespasian's Collosseum in Rome.
Bruce
Ohh really? Did you wisit National park Brijuni?
There you can see archaeological sites: St. Mary's Church from the 5th - 6th centuries, Castrum from the period of the Roman Republic and Empire - 2nd - 1st centuries BC, Hill-fort - the fortified Bronze Age settlement on the hill with preserved walls, entrance and necropolis and magnificent Roman villa rustica in Verige Bay.
Besides there is Brijuni's Cretaceous park with over 200 dinosaurs' footprints have been discovered. :D
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Nikola, Unfortunately we never made it to Brijuni National Park on our 2002 visit. However the islands were on our itinery for the follow-up visit booked in 2004 (this time based further south in Dubrovnik). Sadly we had to cancel at the last minute when my mother-in-law had a serious stroke - but we will go back - and next time I'll be looking out for some of those beautiful mantis that I've seen in your photos.

We did get to see Diocletian's Palace in Split and quite a lot of the countryside in the north of Croatia (and the insides of more than a few bars and restaurants :D )

Bruce

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic