Nikon Diaphot scope and Nikon D90 dSLR

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ReedBio

Nikon Diaphot scope and Nikon D90 dSLR

Post by ReedBio »

Hi All.
I am the biology laboratory manager at a small college in Oregon. I'm currently trying to equip some of our older microscopes with newer dSLR cameras in order to allow the professors to take photos of their microscopy preparations.

We have a Nikon Diaphot inverted scope--one that is equipped with a camera mount on the front of it. The instruction manual I have states that it is compatible with Nikon f-mount cameras. I borrowed a Nikon D90 dSLR today and tried to fit it onto the microscope mount but with no success.

Any thoughts on why this camera/scope combination wouldn't work?
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Kristine

ChrisLilley

Re: Nikon Diaphot scope and Nikon D90 dSLR

Post by ChrisLilley »

ReedBio wrote: We have a Nikon Diaphot inverted scope--one that is equipped with a camera mount on the front of it. The instruction manual I have states that it is compatible with Nikon f-mount cameras. I borrowed a Nikon D90 dSLR today and tried to fit it onto the microscope mount but with no success.

Any thoughts on why this camera/scope combination wouldn't work?
When you say it wouldn't work, do you mean a) that it would not physically attach, or b) that it would attach but you couldn't take photos?

If it physically won't fit, a photo of the mount would be helpful. Perhaps the F-mount is an optional extra, or has been replaced by some other mount.

If it mounts correctly, the D90 needs to be in full manual mode because there is no electronic coupling. You will need to set the ISO and shutter speed to suitable values, checking with the histograms on the D90 to find the correct exposure.

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

I see another thread discussing the Nikon Diaphot, which may be helpful.

ReedBio

Re: Nikon Diaphot scope and Nikon D90 dSLR

Post by ReedBio »

When you say it wouldn't work, do you mean a) that it would not physically attach, or b) that it would attach but you couldn't take photos?

If it physically won't fit, a photo of the mount would be helpful. Perhaps the F-mount is an optional extra, or has been replaced by some other mount.

It was option 'a', i.e. I couldn't get the camera body to attach to the mount on the microscope. I will take a photo of it tomorrow--perhaps you are right--maybe someone replaced the F-mount at some point with some other type.

Thanks!
Kristine

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I have a Diaphot, and the front mount is certainly a Nikon 'F' bayonet. I have an adapter mounted on it to enable me to use a Canon EOS camera. The mount is in quite an awkward place and it might be worth trying to mount your Nikon body again, or trying a different Nikon body in case it is simply a matter of getting the position and angle of the body just right to get them to mate up. The Canon body can be quite tricky to align just right to go on the adapter, so I know there can be a problem.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic