www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - good day from Canada
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
good day from Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin G.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: good day from Canada Reply with quote

Hello all,

Been reading you guys for a while now, a lot of amazing information.

I am trying to get into higher magnification photography, so I have much to learn.

See you soon!

Martin
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Martin!

This is definitely the place to come for high mag photography.

What are your main interests, and what area of photography are you coming from?

--Rik
Martin G.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rik,

Thank you for the welcome!

I am more of a field type + hand held type of guy as far as my pictures go (arthropods in general are my interest). But, as most know, Canada has long winters... so I thought some studio fun could help waiting until spring!

I have been reading this forum for quite some time, but I have to admit it is quite intimidating at first (even still is even if I am starting to understand more). I have felt my brains melting on more than one occasion trying to understand some of the amazing info that is out here. Very Happy

recently I have bought a Nikon E plan LWD (that seems to perform awfully) and one of my friends also lent me another Nikon finite objective, but I have not a lot of info on it, I will try to post some pictures of it when I get a chance. Since I have very little money invested in my 10x gear, I think I might go with the infinty objective that I have seen you use with success.

Right now my problem is that I have no micro railing set up. I am hoping to purchase a Stackshot set up. Also, since I am already using Zerene and work with Canon (a 50D) I am very interested to see when your new profesionnal version will become available.

Aside from my 50D, my gear is the MPE 65mm which gets the most usage and I also have the 100mm L and the EFS 60mm macro.

All the best

Martin

PS: English is not my first language, I am francophone, so I apologize if sometimes my sentences may be worded strangely
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
since I am already using Zerene

"Martin G" -- sorry, I did not connect the names! It is fascinating to me how many people I know from both photomacrography.net and zerenesystems.com but don't manage to make the connection. Brick wall But it doesn't really matter, and actually I work hard to keep those two parts of my life separate.

ZS with a StackShot interface is available now as a public beta. Just contact support@zerenesystems.com for access info.

Regarding the 10X setup, if someplace in your gear there is a telephoto lens whose longest FL is in the range of 135 to 200 mm, then I expect you will be very pleased with the Nikon CFI 10X NA 0.25. It is my current "go to" lens in that range.

Alternatively, if you have a bellows but no suitable telephoto, then you might consider either the Nikon CF N 10X NA 0.30 (available used) or the Nikon Finite Conjugate Objective 10X NA 0.25 (new manufacture available from Edmund Optics). The CF N has slightly better resolution, but the Finite Conjugate and the CFI have substantially larger fields that allow them to be pushed down to 7X while still covering a 1.6 crop sensor.

Test reports on these lenses can be found HERE and HERE.

Again, welcome to photomacrography.net. Yeah, I know this place can get pretty intimidating, but rest assured that we're friendly. If we get to speaking too much "geek", ask us to translate.

--Rik
Martin G.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik,

Thank you for the suggestions and the links, I had found them before and have read them more than once in the past.

I have nothing longer than my 100mm in my kit, I never use telephoto. But the one you used (55-200) can be purchased for very cheap used, so I might just do that. But right now my priority is a solid rail.

Currently I use extension tubes with the cone adapter.

If I do get the stack shot, I will surely contact you back for the program.

Thank you for all the help

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: