Online book of insect records, University of Florida

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DQE

Online book of insect records, University of Florida

Post by DQE »

I would guess that many forum participants are familiar with this "Book of Insect Records" and its web site. I hope that others benefit as I did from learning about it:

http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/walker/u ... ject.shtml

Here's a sample, re the "world's fastest insect":

The insects with the highest reliably measured airspeeds are desert locusts (Schistocerca gregaria) and corn earworm moths (Helicoverpa zea). These fly at average airspeeds of 33 and 28 km/h respectively (about 21 and 17 mph). Many insects surely fly faster, but their airspeeds have yet to be studied with modern methods. The highest sustained ground speed recorded is that of the black cutworm (Agrotis ipsilon) which flies at speeds of between 97 and 113 km/h (60-70 mph) (Showers & Sappington 1992). Insect airspeed is affected by mass, size, age, gender, feeding, water content, activity type, temperature, humidity, solar radiation, wind, oxygen level, ascent angle and even habitat isolation.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

realjax

Post by realjax »

I wasn't aware of this, very nice! thanks.
Jacco

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic