Hello from Geneva, Switzerland

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

YannickW

Hello from Geneva, Switzerland

Post by YannickW »

Hello

My name is Yannick. I’m from Geneva, Switzerland. My main interest in photography is wildlife photography. I was looking to something to photography during the winter (there is not much to photography in winter here and the days are shorts) when I saw some fly eyes photography… Animals, technique and computer… All what I like :D After some search on internet, I found your forum with plenty of very interesting information.

I have a Nikon D300, a PB-6 and just received a StackShot rail. I have started to build a table top setup (I will post some pics when it’s finished) and now I face the tricky question: selecting the microscope lens. I would like to make picture of things like fly heads and details of the heads.

Could you help me with the selection of the lens for this kind of pictures? I have found the following from opticsplanet.net in order of price:
  1. MRN70040: Nikon 4x CFI Plan Achromat Objective
  2. MRN70100: Nikon 10x CFI Plan Achromat Objective
  3. MRP70040: Nikon CFI E Plan Microscope Objective 4x
  4. MRP70100: Nikon CFI E Plan Microscope Objective 10x
  5. MRN20100: Nikon Microscope CFI BE Plan Achromat DL Phase Contrast Objective 10x
Thanks for your help,
Yannick

PS: Sorry for my bad English…

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Welcome :)

Those are (I think) all infinite objectives so need a tube lens or similar.

Look at this thread: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... +objective
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

There is a lot of info in this forum about this subjet. You can use the search facility with keywords like nikon cf, nikon cfi, and infinity objective to find it, being the most complete the one linked by Andrew.

Nikon CFI are infinite corrected objectives, and aren't adequate for direct use in bellows, CF finite corrected (160 or 210 tube lens) are.

CFs are discontinued models and you can find them in the used market (mainly eBay).

Between the lenses you mentioned, the CFI Plan 10X 0.25 is very good (the E plan models are of inferior quality series) and the DL are designed for phase contrast microscopy, so no ideal for macro work.
Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Geneva, Switzerland

Post by rjlittlefield »

YannickW wrote:I have found the following from opticsplanet.net in order of price:
  1. MRN70040: Nikon 4x CFI Plan Achromat Objective
  2. MRN70100: Nikon 10x CFI Plan Achromat Objective
Be aware that these lenses are not quite what you have written. The picture shown at opticsplanet.net is for the CFI Plan Achromat series, but the description says "Nikon CFI BE Plan Achromat Objectives". The BE series objectives are a new design, specifically intended to be used on Nikon's Eclipse microscope. They are substantially cheaper than the original non-BE objectives ($83 versus $285, list price in April 2010) . Presumably this means some compromises in optical quality (field of view, perhaps), but no one has reported test results so we do not know for sure.

The Nikon 10X CFI Plan Achromat (not BE) is a superb lens, as discussed in the long thread HERE. I cannot find it offered by Optics Planet, but it can commonly be found on eBay as either used or new (China) in the $100 price range.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic