Photographing Tarantulas

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

blades

Photographing Tarantulas

Post by blades »

Dear All

I would like to start photographing my tarantula collection. I already have a Canon EOS5 MKII.

What lens and flash combination would you suggest I start with?

My current thought is a Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens and a Canon MR-14EX Macrolite

I would value any suggestions that I might consider before I purchase.

Thanks in advance
David

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Welcome David,

Does your tarantula collection consist of live 'pets'?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

blades

Post by blades »

Craig Gerard wrote:Welcome David,

Does your tarantula collection consist of live 'pets'?

Craig
Hi Craig

The tarantulas are live, but I don't see them as pets. I keep them to help me understand more about them and I also breed them.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Thanks David,

It helps to know their current state-of-being, hence, the reason for my question :)

The Canon EF 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM would be an excellent choice.

As far as the Canon MR-14EX is concerned, I'm not sure this would be the most appropriate flash system to use for your purposes. I'd be inclined to steer more towards a 430EXII or 580EXII and use them with various softbox/diffusers.

How big is your largest tarantula?

Craig

blades

Post by blades »

Craig Gerard wrote:Thanks David,

It helps to know their current state-of-being, hence, the reason for my question :)

The Canon EF 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM would be an excellent choice.

As far as the Canon MR-14EX is concerned, I'm not sure this would be the most appropriate flash system to use for your purposes. I'd be inclined to steer more towards a 430EXII or 580EXII and use them with various softbox/diffusers.

How big is your largest tarantula?

Craig
Thanks Craig
Largest tarantula I have is the Theraphosa blondi, I have an adult female with a leg span of just over 10 inches. I have the 580EXII already so it would be great if I could use that. Would you suggest a bracket arrangement (if so any suggestions) with a TTL lead? Would you suspect auto TTL settings to be usable for this application or would manual settings be preferential?

Really grateful for the advice

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

David,

10" :shock:

The 580EXII should be ideal (it provides a lot of light for you to work with). It's a heavy unit so the choice of bracket is a consideration.

Yes, an off-camera cable (E-TTL) and a bracket would be a good approach. Either E-TTL or manual settings could be used. FEC (flash exposure compensation) becomes an important consideration (and very useful feature) when using E-TTL. FEL (flash exposure lock) is also a useful feature if the E-TTL pre-flash spooks your tarantula.

Brackets, there are a few good ones. Will you be handholding the 5DMKII or using some type of support?

Craig

blades

Post by blades »

Craig Gerard wrote:David,

10" :shock:

The 580EXII should be ideal (it provides a lot of light for you to work with). It's a heavy unit so the choice of bracket is a consideration.

Yes, an off-camera cable (E-TTL) and a bracket would be a good approach. Either E-TTL or manual settings could be used. FEC (flash exposure compensation) becomes an important consideration (and very useful feature) when using E-TTL. FEL (flash exposure lock) is also a useful feature if the E-TTL pre-flash spooks your tarantula.

Brackets, there are a few good ones. Will you be handholding the 5DMKII or using some type of support?

Craig
Thanks again Craig

I was planning to set up a mini studio so I could use a tripod but I think hand held would allow me to keep up with the T's movements a little better. I have see this sort of bracket (pic attached) Image

I'll order the off camera lead and get practising!

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

David,

That's a Custom Brackets Mini RC2. Good choice! You can purchase those in the UK. They are even better when coupled with a Manfrotto 819-1 (7" Hydrostatic arm) and a spigot. This arrangement can be used handheld or on a tripod.

John Hallmén, aka morfa has an example of his setup (some parts of which are relevant to your needs) on flickr which uses the pieces mentioned above.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallme ... 592459772/

Another thought that occurred to me, was that due to the size of some of your T's, an additional wide-angle lense may be worthwhile having in your kit.

Craig

blades

Post by blades »

That's a Custom Brackets Mini RC2. Good choice! You can purchase those in the UK. They are even better when coupled with a Manfrotto 819-1 (7" Hydrostatic arm) and a spigot. This arrangement can be used handheld or on a tripod.

John Hallmén, aka morfa has an example of his setup (some parts of which are relevant to your needs) on flickr which uses the pieces mentioned above.

Another thought that occurred to me, was that due to the size of some of your T's, an additional wide-angle lense may be worthwhile having in your kit.

Craig
Thanks for the further info. I'll research all this tonight once I get home.
I do have a wide angle lens...... a Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L MKII USM Lens.

Again thanks for all the advice. I'm eager to get going now!!

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

You might want to approach this in a completely different way which might yield better pictures.

I assume you won't be shooting them through glass but will have them on a branch or some kind of material in the open ? I would get hold of a large light tent (or make one from a cardboard box with cut out windows covered with tracing paper - see www.strobist.com). Put your beastie in there and put a large flash or two on the outside. You'll now have a ministudio with constant diffused light so you just need to move your camera around. You can preset the exposure (use manual flash control) with some test shots and you are good to go.

If you want to advance to shooting macro at greater than 1x (like you want its eyes only) this approach will probably still work but your camera will get closer and closer to the subject - down to cm's or less.

Have fun.
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

blades

Post by blades »

AndrewC wrote:You might want to approach this in a completely different way which might yield better pictures.

I assume you won't be shooting them through glass but will have them on a branch or some kind of material in the open ? I would get hold of a large light tent (or make one from a cardboard box with cut out windows covered with tracing paper - see www.strobist.com). Put your beastie in there and put a large flash or two on the outside. You'll now have a ministudio with constant diffused light so you just need to move your camera around. You can preset the exposure (use manual flash control) with some test shots and you are good to go.

If you want to advance to shooting macro at greater than 1x (like you want its eyes only) this approach will probably still work but your camera will get closer and closer to the subject - down to cm's or less.

Have fun.
Hi Andrew

I would take the T's out each time to me photographed. Thanks for your tip's. I will try your ideas out once my macro lens and flash lead arrives.

Regards
David

blades

Post by blades »

Craig
Hi Craig

Do you happen to know the model number of the spigot that would allow connection of the arm to the bracket. I found the spigot (picture) but cannot find a model number for it? Is it perhaps a non UK thing??
Thanks in advance

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

David,

Any applicable dual female threaded 1/4" spigot will do the job.

The one I use is linked below. It is a Manfrotto piece, Manfrotto 119 Adapter Spigot FEMALE 1/4 - 3/8.

It needs a 1/4" to 3/8" reducer bushing inserted into the 3/8" thread for compatability with the CB RC and Manfrotto 819-1. The reducer is readily available and the company you purchase the spigot from should have it in stock.

http://teamworkphoto.com/shop/index.php ... 7ta83b4a76

*The image in your previous post is from John Hallmén's flickr gallery. A courtesy email asking John if it's okay to use his image is recommended.

Craig

blades

Post by blades »

Any applicable dual female threaded 1/4" spigot will do the job.

The one I use is linked below. It is a Manfrotto piece, Manfrotto 119 Adapter Spigot FEMALE 1/4 - 3/8.

It needs a 1/4" to 3/8" reducer bushing inserted into the 3/8" thread for compatability with the CB RC and Manfrotto 819-1. The reducer is readily available and the company you purchase the spigot from should have it in stock.

http://teamworkphoto.com/shop/index.php ... 7ta83b4a76

*The image in your previous post is from John Hallmén's flickr gallery. A courtesy email asking John if it's okay to use his image is recommended.

Craig
Craig

Once again, many thanks. I have emailed John.

Thank you
David

morfa

Post by morfa »

The image use above fine by me – thanks for asking! I'll let my son know he's now on the forum :)

If you're considering the Manfrotto arm it might be wise to check out similar solutions from other manufacturers! I've seen several of these after I bought the Manfrotto and they've seemed at least as good or in some cases better. I fooled around with a slightly higher priced one from Zacuto which seemed awfully nice. The Noga arms featured in a recent post by Chris S: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=72817 are also worth considering! Some other brand slips my mind right now...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic