No stopping this Milar

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

No stopping this Milar

Post by ChrisR »

I have one of these http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=26 Milar 50mm f/4.5
It is marked 2,6,12,24 but unfortunately the aperture-ring doesn't turn.
Can anyone suggest any methods to get the ring released? First I am trying warming it up a bit to unstick any old grease.
There are two screws on the knurled part, but nothing else very obvious.

And Mr Hallmén, I hope you realise this is your fault :wink:

morfa

Post by morfa »

I take full responsibility.

I have one of these that has been completely disassembled (due to curiosity and a defective rear element) – I'll see if I can locate the different pieces and post a shot of them – it might give you some clues!

morfa

Post by morfa »

Ok, "completely disassembled" was an exaggeration. But here it is:

I had to file it down on opposite sides to get a good grip to be able to unscrew the front and rear groups from the aperture assembly.

I don't suggest you unscrew the small screws in the aperture ring – it's often very difficult to piece an aperture together when all the diaphragm blades come loose (I spent three hours getting the 10-bladed aperture of a Focotar lens back together). It's probably better to remove the front an rear groups and try to clean the aperture by soaking it in something for a while (and perhaps using an ultrasonic cleaner.

Good luck!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Splendid, John, many thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic