Macro Set-Up For Samsung NX300m - possible?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

benjamind2014

Macro Set-Up For Samsung NX300m - possible?

Post by benjamind2014 »

I bought a Samsung NX300m late last year, and wanted to start using it to take photomacrographs.

What specific equipment do I need, since I'm a newbie at this. I decided to abandon photomicrography for a while, and focus on something I can without relying on terribly expensive equipment.

I know that it is possible to handle photomacrography with low power objectives, say 2x, 4x, and 10x...with higher priced setups going to 20x and even higher, 50x which is super-expensive.

I would like to start with 2x, 5x, and 10x if this makes such a setup affordable, to get my feet wet.

I'm unsure of my model supports the full benefit of photomacrography, but I think the Samsung NX300m, being based on an APS-C sensor would be suitable for this kind of work.

Here is the adapter parts that I purchased early this year:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-NX-Micr ... 1788330497

The question now, is what adapters I would be required to use. I purchased a Samsung NX300m adapter for use with a microscope, T2 mount. I presume they would be most suitable for a microscope eye/photo port. But I wonder if the part that screws into lens bayonet of the NX300m could be used with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RMS-to-T2-Micro ... 1797681913

I wonder how this would fare for a photomacrography setup?

Any knowledge that can be shared on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

The adapter you have has a female t-mount thread (42mm 0.75). The front edge of that t-thread will be 55mm from the camera sensor.

The other adapter you referenced (ebay 261797681913) has the male t-mount thread and will accept a microscope objective that is RMS threaded. It would appear to add negligible additional extension.

Easiest approach would be a finite type microscope object (either 160mm tube length or an "M" 210mm tube length). For a 160mm tube length you would need to add about 95mm of extension (145mm additional extension for a 210mm tube length). It's not too hard to track down T-mount extension tubes. (Just be sure the insides are very flat black... either use a flocking material or a very flat paint if needed. A flare-cut diaphragm is often a good idea as well).

I probably would not bother with a 2X microscope objective (easier to reverse mount an enlarging lens or a regular camera lens for this relatively low magnification). But certainly a 4X or 10X microscope objective could provide some nice results. Pay attention to the objective working distance. Most 4X are OK in regard to working distance. Most 10X are OK as well, but there are some with quite short (too short!) working distances. If possible try to avoid objectives that you know were intended to be used with chromatically corrective eyepieces. Nikon CFs are an excellent choice. Some of the new inexpensive Chines ones are good too.

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

Thanks Charles, that was very informative. I'll start looking into my options ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic