Sabertooth Bee

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jotafoto

Sabertooth Bee

Post by jotafoto »

Some time ago, I do not upload anything to the forum, I follow though with difficulty by the language. So I post little.
This picture is 120 shots with the 21mm JML (Thanks morfa, if not for you, I do not get to know).
I wanted to throw a question, to comment on the method you use to hold the insects. In this case I've been holding her legs with a human hair, so it does not should be closed. Should have made a photo montage, but did not think in this moment.
I'm interested in methods to fix insects without damaging if possible.

regards

Javier Replinger.

Large format

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6551 ... daalce.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wow! A striking image in all respects. Great capture of even the feathered hairs, in the large version.

--Rik

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Javier,

Outstanding!

Stunning detail and lighting :shock:
Javier wrote: I wanted to throw a question, to comment on the method you use to hold the insects.....I'm interested in methods to fix insects without damaging if possible.
Anyone care to share some wisdom in response to Javier's question?

I think the method used for holding the bee in this image is a good one Javier.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I have used dental floss, in the same way that I think Javier is using hair.

See HERE for illustration.

Obviously in that case I had destructively mounted the leg by pinning its base, but still I needed to change the leg's position without further damaging it.

The only other technique I know is to use water-soluble glue.

--Rik

Tomatito

Post by Tomatito »

~thats interesting photo Javier.. I was always wondering about these things like a positioning insect before stacking...great colours
Tomas Rak

Eddy Clerx

Post by Eddy Clerx »

Don't worry about your englisch, please post more. This is beautitful, and your techniques are obvious informative.

jotafoto

Post by jotafoto »

Thanks, Rik, Craig, Tomatito, Eddy.
The issue of dental floss had not thought, but I think it's finest human hair. It is a problem that worries me a lot. A photo is good, or is just another picture depends by 70% of the position of the specimen and as illuminate. And it is not possible to illuminate, if not to hold the sample so that we can wrap the specimen with a reflector. This photo in particular, has major complication that would not puncture the bee with a pin, and could not support the flower without falling from its position.
I thought of myself several racks, with different measures, to hold the insects for six or eight feet, and leave the insect in the air. I don't know if I explain well. I will put photos next time, when I do.

Greetings.

Javier Replinger.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

jotafoto wrote:The issue of dental floss had not thought, but I think it's finest human hair.
No doubt it varies depending on the floss and the hair. In the floss that I used, individual strands were about 20 microns (my measurement) , versus 17 to 180 microns for hair (Internet sources). The floss fibers were clearly finer than all the hair that I personally had access to (direct comparison at 45X).

I will be very interested to see your racks. I have always found it tedious to prepare small subjects to photograph.

--Rik

jgknight

Post by jgknight »

A beautiful photograph in every respect. Superb!
John

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times the memory.

jotafoto

Post by jotafoto »

Thanks jgknight, I'm glad like you.
rjlittlefield wrote:
jotafoto wrote:The issue of dental floss had not thought, but I think it's finest human hair.
No doubt it varies depending on the floss and the hair. In the floss that I used, individual strands were about 20 microns (my measurement) , versus 17 to 180 microns for hair (Internet sources). The floss fibers were clearly finer than all the hair that I personally had access to (direct comparison at 45X).

I will be very interested to see your racks. I have always found it tedious to prepare small subjects to photograph.

--Rik
Rik interesting information. I doubt not even sure that the silk thread can be much thinner, but consists of many strands, compared to the unique structure of human hair. A hair is easier to manipulate, I think.

On the racks, I'm thinking of a system with mini tweezers to grasp the insect for each leg. I will put pictures of inventions,

Greetings.

Javier Replinger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic