ZigView viewfinder + Yongnuo wireless flash/camera trigger

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bob^3

ZigView viewfinder + Yongnuo wireless flash/camera trigger

Post by Bob^3 »

Tomatito wrote:
Yes it is zigview I am using it with canon 5D because it doesn't have liveview ..and I am using it like a remote shutter as well...yongnuo is excelent..I would recomend to everyone who doesn't need Ettl triggers...
I figured this would be better placed in the equipment section. So I moved it from this recent thread:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11425

I did a quick search on the forum for "zigview” and another for “yongnuo” and had no hits. Since these units may be of interest to other members, I’ll offer short descriptions and links for each.

The ZigView electronic viewfinders (now called Remote Digital Viewfinders) are cleaver devices with a host of functions, including the obvious use to provide live view on non-live view cameras by attaching a small video camera to the eyepiece which captures a continuous image off the focusing screen and displays it on a remote (detachable) LCD screen:

http://www.zigview.co.uk/zigview-remote ... inders.htm

I see they now have a version for use with Live View cameras that takes its video signal from the A/V output of the camera (but apparently, not the HDMI output).

They also offer some sophisticated functions to control the camera through an appropriate cable, such as a versatile programmable intervalometer and a unique (AFAIK) motion detector which can autofocus and trigger the shutter when movement is detected in programmable quadrants in the live image---good for setting-up “capture traps” for wildlife photography.

The small size makes these units very good for portable field use when composing awkward ground-level macro subjects. However, the small screen size and relatively low resolution from the A/V port makes it difficult to achieve precise focus. For outdoor work near the vehicle, I now use a mid-sized HDMI-input monitor with a hood.

-------------------------

The Yongnuo RF-602 wireless triggers that Tomatito shows in his setup are really excellent units, even when compared to Pocket Wizards, etc., at a fraction of the cost. In my experience, they are well built and very reliable. About the only thing missing, as Tomatito says, is E-TTL / iTTL feedback to the camera for through-the-lens auto-exposure. But I’m sure the vendor is working on that functionality for some future release.

http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=255

on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/YONGNUO-RF-602-Wire ... 3f02940462

They will function as either a wireless trigger for one or multiple flash units by mounting the transmitter in the hot shoe, with the receivers mounted on the flash units (don’t use them on high-voltage sync flash units, like some Vivitar 283’s). Or the system can operate as a wireless camera trigger by attaching one end of the supplied release cables to a receiver and the other end to your camera remote socket (just be sure to get the kit with the correct release cable for your camera!). The range is (correctly) listed at 100M (>300ft). I’ve successfully tested mine at over 500ft (line-of-sight). I use both modes. When I’m doing outdoor photography, one of the receivers lives in my hot shoe, with a short cable running to the release socket. The button on the small (Li-ion battery powered) transmitter provides a completely wireless shutter release---no long cables to get tangled up and snag on things.
Bob in Orange County, CA

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Bob,
Thanks for putting down and posting this information and your experience with these items . I've read your text with much interest.

--Betty

Bob^3

Post by Bob^3 »

Hi Betty, glad you found the information useful.

Bob
Bob in Orange County, CA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic