www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Experimental macroscope
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Experimental macroscope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpmatthews

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Experimental macroscope Reply with quote

You may have seen the recent articles in Micscape on The Poor Man's Photomacroscope (see http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artsep10/pj-macroscope.html).

I thought this approach might be worth exploring. CactusDave had some spare lenses and an old microscope stand and I had a spare trinocular head, so here are the first results:

This is the experimental macroscope which matches a Zeiss trinocular head with a reversed Pentacon 50 mm, extension ring and DOI HQ teleconverter (the latter to reduce the magnification).

To enable me to use the unmarked focus control, I stuck on a degree scale and used a miniature video camera and TV thus giving a scale suitable for measuring steps for stacking.

Finally, here is a test image of an old hoverfly sample. Lighting was from a microscope lamp and used an old weighing boat as diffuser. You can see this in the first and second photos above. I have also fitted an LED ringlight on the end of the lens assembly, but this was not used in these tests, as although it is great for manual observation, it is not so good for photos (needs a diffuser).

Here it is in action:

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

Excellent projects, both this one and the gizmo outlined in the Micscape article. Smile

Using the teleconverter to reduce magnification; this sounds similar to the method some members (and others) have been implementing with the Canon MP-E 65mm.

Graham wrote:
first results

I look forward to more reports/results Smile

Craig
Cactusdave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Graham. I particularly loved the camera and mini-TV system for measuring focusing steps. Move over Wallace and Gromit! Laughing
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting. I'm not sure that your teleconverter is the best you can use. Perhaps you have other plans for your final setup. I used such third party TCs in my early days of photography but Tamron SP are now the only ones I would consider. Perhaps it is not a significant issue as you are reducing magnification in this instance, not something I have tried.

Harold
Mitch640

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rube Goldberg would be proud of that. I love the knob measuring device. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: